Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"Instant" dread wraps.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I am lacking pictures yet. Tomorrow when my battery is charged I will add them but I have the time to write this now so I'm doing it! Carrying on...

A question on here, combined with my laziness, led me to create what appears to be a new, or at least rare, dread accessory.

Someone asked where they could buy dread wraps. At first that seemed like a silly question. You don't buy them. You buy string/thread/yarn and wrap your dreads yourself!

But then I started thinking...what if you could? So I searched google. Nothing. Peyotes, headbands, beads, coils, everything but an "instant" dread wrap.

Well I wanted one. I wanted one that I could just slip on and off because I can never seem to commit to wraps. Beads stay in forever with me it seems but wraps go in and out and I hate putting them in and cutting them off. They ALWAYS get eaten up by my hair.

So out came the 3mm(2.2 actually upon further inspection) hook and some crochet thread and I crocheted up a narrow tube and I made what amounts to an instant wrap/beadless peyote sleeve depending on the length created. Such a simple idea that I can't understand why I can't find anything like it online!

Right now everything is still in the prototype stage. I'm testing out the various lengths and widths that are possible but I've already discovered some awesome pros to this accessory.

1. I can move the "wrap" from dread to dread. Commitment is scary! (Says the dready...)

2. They stretch. I can get the shorter ones up and over my huge loops. Then they go back into shape!

3. They dry really well and can be moved up and down or simply taken off and on for washing!

4. They're really light and don't weight down the dreads.

5. (This is only a benefit for those who love their bumps and loops) They conform to the shape of your dread instead of making your dread conform to it. I don't want my bumps to disappear so this makes me happy.

I'm already planning sets for Canada Day, Halloween, and Christmas and am very excited!

PICTURES! (Just not very good ones!)

Basic shot

This one shows the bumps/loops/paddle it went over. It did take some squeezing of the bumpy loops and a bit of tugging but it went over pretty easily and bounced back into shape. Now my paddle is all pretty! This one is more "open" than the other one because I used double crochet instead of single.

And this just shows how flexible the crochet is...

Longer/wider for bigger dreads one is in the works.

The newest one really feels like it deserves the name "dread sweater". I used double crochet and I made it just big enough to fit beween my loops on what I affectionately refer to as 'Dreadwad'.

And for size comparison against the first one...

updated by @tied-up-in-knots: 02/14/15 09:41:13AM
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

These sound awesome!

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I want to see pictures :)

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
Brilliant! & I love the name dread sweaters lol
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I have been fighting with my phone/camera for an hour now! It does not want to give up the photos! I'm giving up for now but I WILL post pictures tonight when my husband gets home.

I love the name dread sweaters too! And I'm glad someone else has done something similar!

Today I'm trying to work on one that is actually full dread length. Right now I just have a few short ones done just to make sure it was possible to even do. Once I do that I'm going to futz around with various different stitch patterns.

The best part about making these is that it's got me back holding a hook. I haven't been crocheting at all recently and that sucked.

I really appreciate your guys interest in this. I promise I won't leave you hanging too long waiting for pictures.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Pictures are posted.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

these are great, i really have to figure out crochet...

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
What are they made of?Do you think my super short baby dreads will benefit from it?They are great, btw!
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

so cool! i made something similar using a knitting spool. i made my own loom with an old wooden thread spool and some nails. the "dread sweater" came out great but i need to make a bigger spool so they will be larger. i would love to crochet some of these too though. did you crochet in the round?

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

They are made of cotton crochet thread.

I don't know if they can be made small enough yet for dreads your size though I imagine they would work better than beads since they are very light weight and can kind of "float" on the dread even if it's bigger than the dread itself.

Edit: I'm a bit of a goober...of course they can be made small enough. You just need a smaller hook and smaller thread like sewing thread. Probably a good use for the hook people get in the DHHQ kits actually! I will add that to my list of things to experiment with. I just need to locate my tiny hooks or buy new ones...

Angela Lee said:

What are they made of?

Do you think my super short baby dreads will benefit from it?

They are great, btw!
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form