Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread soaking?

Krista Miller
@krista-miller
12 years ago
8 posts

So I've read that some people soak their dreads every few months, like a deep clean thing. I've also read that people wash their dreads regularlyby soaking them in a sink or whatever. I clean my dreads in the shower.

Is soaking them a better option for cleaning regularly or is it okay to do a good soak once every few months and keep doing my shower wash?

If you do a soak, what is your mix and how often do you soak?

updated by @krista-miller: 01/13/15 09:24:07PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i did the soak every wash in the shower u dont gotta do it in a bowl i stopped doing it tho and started using a shampoo

u can do either the soak or wash or alternate its all up to u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i've seen a lot of people on youtube who do the soaks as a deep clean but not on a regular basis. i'm going to try it out this weekend just to remove any build up of shampoos i've used over the months plus i'm hoping it will help my flaking scalp. recipe? i'm assuming there's one located on the forum somewhere. i'll have to look.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its in dozens of places on the forums

basics

1-2 tablespoons baking soda per cup of water

add optionals like spoonful or so sea salt 2-3 drops teatree oikl 3-5 drops riosemary pepermint lavender

stir to break up clumps

pour over wet hair soak 10 min or so..rinse

after rinding the baking soda

if your dreads are mature same ammount acv (apple cider vinager) as u used baking soda if your dreads ar young use way less (1/4r as much or even less)

if mature soak 3 min then rinse if youngf rinse right away

--
eLPea
@elpea
12 years ago
17 posts

Soaking can be a pain in the neck -- literally. Get a big bowl, get ready to do a big of shower yoga to get all the areas of your hair/scalp in it. I like to put a large pot in my deep kitchen sink and lean over into it to soak, using a cup or bowl to get the liquid distributed through the hair.

I use a very similar mixture to soak and in my regular shampoo. The soak will usually just be stronger (more BS & essential oils - I use a combo of lavender, rosemary and tea tree), and often with lemon and sea salt. I usually jump in the shower after and do the vinegar rinse then.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if your sticking your head in a bowl your neck will be in agony just use a pitcher and pour it over your head

real simple

--
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

just pour it over your head and then catch in another bowl and repeat:)

eLPea
@elpea
12 years ago
17 posts

It's not quite agony, just a bit awkward. It's quite similar to how they wash your hair in a salon.

It can be really nice to dunk the whole head and really massage the BS mixture into your scalp. I don't feel like the mixture really penetrates a lot when just using the pour-over. Tome, that's the big difference between a soak and a shampoo - you know, actually soaking it.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
My neck is always sore after the hair salons are done with me! My scalp feels great but my neck is screaming.

I've never done a soak. I just do the rinses in the bath with basically the same recipe. I don't use other shampoos though so I'm thiNking that soaking won't make much of a difference. I just squeeze the mix into my dreads a bit and let it sit. I can never seen to let it sit as long in the shower though. I get bored and cold ;p

I'm tempted to give it a whirl though to see if soaking in a bowl does anything more. I henna'd a couple weeks ago so it would be interesting to see if a soak managed to pull any more out.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form