Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks and balding

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

alot of people ask if dreadlocks make you go bald. the answer isnt so simple as yes or no, they shouldn't! but dread abuse can make you go bald.

some factors that can cause dreads to contribute to balding include:

1. dread root tightening, tightening dreadlocks roots unnaturally pulls on the roots causing a condition called traction alopecia, this is reversible typically up to a point. but there is a point of no return where balding becomes permanent. ROOT TIGHTENING TECHNIQUES LIKE THE FOLLOWING SHOULD BE AVOIDED!
    • twisting- twisting dreads to tighten them at the roots is perhaps the number 1 cause of balding in dreads.
    • interlocking- interlocking is worse to do then twisting, but is used less often due to the weakness it causes.
    • root rubbing- may or may not cause traction alopecia but causes friction damage and wakens roots.
    • crochet- crochet damage is worse in the body of the dread then the roots however its more often used in the roots only and the tightness can cause traction alopecia in some cases. however the dangers more likely to manifest in weak dreads broken hairs and extreme slow dreading. (actual dreading not the weaving caused by crochet)
    • threading and other root tightening techniques- anything that pulls the hair tighter then it naturally wants to be will cause tension on the roors that traumatize them. slowly this will trigger the hairs to stop growing and recede into the dreads thinning the roots leaving bald gaps.
    • Too tight pony tails or pulling back- yes even pulling them back tightly and often can put tension on the hairline around the face causing a slow receding. especially temple areas similar to male pattern baldness.
  2. weight- dreads shouldn't be heavy unless you caked them in wax (do not use wax in dreads!) but extremely long dreads can pull on the scalp so tie them up (without pulling on the scalp) or wear a tam that supports the weight. this is usually not an issue till they reach the ground however.
  3. abuse- in rare cases wax has caused hair to fall out or almost seem to melt from the head. other abuses like dread perms bleaching extreme crocheting dying over and over sewing in loose hairs can cause dreads to break, not balding really but dread loss.

dreadlocks should not encourage balding if treated properly.

i have had dreads almost 22 years my hairs extremely thick and strong

no signs of balding at all.

and i'm 45 now.

this picture is 4 or 5 years ago, they are still as thick and strong, but longer now.

method natural aka neglect

never been palm rolled rubbed twisted crocheted or waxed.

never did a thing so they stay strong thick and healthy.

the real balding dangers come from root tightening. and abuse.

dreads when healthy should not contribute to balding at all.

however when they reach 12-15 feet weight distribution is advised!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 11:17:12AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not at all

i love it i wouldnt want it any other way exceottwice as long

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theends drag a bit i live in the woods when i can tho and they make a grat pillow for 5

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i keep em clean but even in the woods when they get caked in mud till 3 times the thickeness they come clean easilt =y cause neverr had wax or anything in em

but they sure arent the longest in the country jah levi has drads 14 feet theres many in his essene group that have dreads near that long or longer

no i dont get many do u wash it cause its odvios i do tho i guess i get how do you wag[h it alot

and yea i get alotta ppl wanting to touch em older women are fascinated and always wantto touch em

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i can but untill i got the ones i have now the tams popped off after 15 min the new ones have elastic or drawstrings so actualy staty on

plus i had a long loose knot rainbow colored sleeve like thing that theyt fit in and only came to my waist but the loose knot with big o]holes catches on stuff to easy

i love the tams i got now finaly a tam i can wear

all from ouyr shops here

actualy 2 were gifts 1 i bought

the 1 is in my 21 year vid

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

catch the rinse water in a bowl and see the color

but when u mix the bs and water is it not pretty much clear like water? how can t leave a white gunk if its the consistency of water and pretty much the color of water too? maybe with a slight white bubbling since it releases gasses

in fact it biodegrades into gasses so will evaporate if it stays wet long enough

if your scalps not too bad it might not tingle

u might also be making it too weak

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wayyyy too weak

its 1-2 tablespoons per cup ---or 1/3 cup per gallon

no wonder

u need to make it way stronger to work

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i use a pitcher i dont measure at all just pour what looks good typicaly 1/4 inch or so on the bottom of the pitcher (galon sized) to 1/2 inch if the scalp was bad i make it lil stronger

then i fill 1/2 way with water reach in and swirl feeling for lun]mps if u feel a lump ping[h or squish it to breakl it e]=up then fill the rest of the way and pour

mi[ost of the time thers no lumps unless the box got lil damp then they are easy to break up even if it comes out as 1 big hard rock once wet u can break it up easy

--
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
I know you don't measure it out, I don't either, but the measurements you give people don't line up when you compare your per gallon and per cup measurements. Can you please clarify? I'd like to know where I'm going wrong in my math or if there is a reason why I should use more baking soda with less water.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well i didnt figure out the math lol so its no surprise

i just know ppl who use a cup or 2 say 1-2 tablespoons per cup

whats that compared to cups per gallon

and to me it looks like about 1/3 cup but could be 1/2 or more i just go by what it looks like

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form