Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I found my dreading method...but???

FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
Ok Phew.. I finally decided that I'm going to comb coil my hair.. I think I might start dreading up next week:D:D I'm excited... anyways, I've been looking at a few websites and they ingredients i need are rat-tail, comb, wax, and hair styling gel. PAUSE!!! REWIND STOP!!! OKAY PROBLEM THERE!! LOL...I am NOT using wax I'm using aloe gel, instead. I am NOT using the hair styling gel either...do i have to substitute that with something else? Or am I good with the aloe vera by its self?
updated by @foxyfresh: 02/14/15 09:05:46AM
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
15 years ago
80 posts
I think it should be good just with the aloe if your back combing.
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
Sis..Comb coiling isn't back combing.. its a type of twist. Starting Dreadlocks with Comb Coils Comb coil locks can be started on hair that is coily to kinky. If your hair will form a natural coil you can usually start your locks this way. You are basically using a comb to coax a section of hair to form a curl. This method is great if you have hair that is really short. However, any length of coil hair can be comb coiled.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
sounds very similar to backcoming though. A bit gentler perhaps...The aloe isn't really gonna do anyhting substantial though so don't panic when it comes out and you dont have perfect instant dreads. The reason wax "works" is cause it DOESN'T come out. Same idea as the gel I suppose.
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
I understand... Didjeridurian said:
sounds very similar to backcoming though. A bit gentler perhaps...
The aloe isn't really gonna do anyhting substantial though so don't panic when it comes out and you dont have perfect instant dreads. The reason wax "works" is cause it DOESN'T come out. Same idea as the gel I suppose.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
aloe is fine just use that be sure u get only 100% pure aloe vera gel; from as health food store sold as a drink or food supliment the only incgrediant aloe and it should be in the refridgeratorif not go to a garden center buy a plant but make sure its aloe VERA as other aloe varierties can be toxic or cause severe skin reac tions ..u just want plasin old aloe vera if u get a plany get the biggest u can, take 1 large leaf cut it off split it the long way scrape out the gel inside the leraf

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
comb coiling is nothing like backcombingthe comb from what i understand is a 3 prong comb, you just stick the prong into the tip of the hair and use it to twist the hair (right?) the same result can be done by finger twisting ..if theres an advantage ort disadvantage to either otsd probly just that the comb helps in very short hair (a freind had tewists that became dreads with just 1/8 inch..but i dunno if they were comb or finger twists)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
aloe vera smells like CRAP. i would definitely recommend doing this product less soaringeagle said:
aloe is fine just use that be sure u get only 100% pure aloe vera gel; from as health food store sold as a drink or food supliment the only incgrediant aloe and it should be in the refridgerator

if not go to a garden center buy a plant but make sure its aloe VERA as other aloe varierties can be toxic or cause severe skin reac tions ..u just want plasin old aloe vera if u get a plany get the biggest u can, take 1 large leaf cut it off split it the long way scrape out the gel inside the leraf
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
THANK YOU LOL.. COMB COILING IS NOT BACK COMBING... soaringeagle said:
comb coiling is nothing like backcombing
the comb from what i understand is a 3 prong comb, you just stick the prong into the tip of the hair and use it to twist the hair (right?) the same result can be done by finger twisting ..if theres an advantage ort disadvantage to either otsd probly just that the comb helps in very short hair (a freind had tewists that became dreads with just 1/8 inch..but i dunno if they were comb or finger twists)
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
15 years ago
105 posts
The only thing I don't know is.. I know there going to come undone.. I leave them alone.. or should i keep twisting?.............I think i should only re twist them after i wash.. I'm trying to watch out for too much maintenance.. Sekhmet Senge Dong-ma said:
THANK YOU LOL.. COMB COILING IS NOT BACK COMBING...

soaringeagle said:
comb coiling is nothing like backcombing
the comb from what i understand is a 3 prong comb, you just stick the prong into the tip of the hair and use it to twist the hair (right?) the same result can be done by finger twisting ..if theres an advantage ort disadvantage to either otsd probly just that the comb helps in very short hair (a freind had tewists that became dreads with just 1/8 inch..but i dunno if they were comb or finger twists)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form