Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello from a new Dreader :-)

Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
Hi all,I'm very new to this, I only started the baby steps a few days ago by leaving my hair untouched after I got out the shower - because I didn't as of yet have Baking soda or residue free shampoo I just used water on the recommendation of something I read elsewhere on the net.My hair is at about 2 and a half inches which I know is shorter than the recommended 3 inch minimum but my hair is very thick and naturally quite kinky/wavy (not mega curly though) so I hope that is an advantage?What else can I do whilst I'm being patient and letting my hair do it's thing? I'm thinking of getting a wool jumper to put over my pillow for the nights, and I intend to get some Tea Tree Oil etc to make some washes.Thanks all!Adam
updated by @adam-williams: 02/14/15 10:52:30AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well welcome but gotta tell ya the recomended for natural is 6 not 3

3 is if your going for candles dipped in wax 3 is the loose hair at roots and toips number

to twist n rip or backcomb 3 wont do it 4 is min 5 is recomended

6 is the magic number for natural

however

thse are generalities

and the curliness can certainly lower thart

mine dreaded shorter

yours might too

but dont expect alot till u gain more length

its not s race its a journey of a lifetime

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
Ah I'm with ya pal, that makes a lot of sense.Is it wise to use things like Sea Salt sprays and ACV so early?

soaring eagle said:

well welcome but gotta tell ya the recomended for natural is 6 not 3

3 is if your going for candles dipped in wax 3 is the loose hair at roots and toips number

to twist n rip or backcomb 3 wont do it 4 is min 5 is recomended

6 is the magic number for natural

however

thse are generalities

and the curliness can certainly lower thart

mine dreaded shorter

yours might too

but dont expect alot till u gain more length

its not s race its a journey of a lifetime

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

cant hurt

many do from bald

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
By the way, what exactly is a Congo?

soaring eagle said:

cant hurt

many do from bald

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

A congo happens when 2 or more dreads start growing together to become one dread.

Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
Ah ok - is this good or bad? And are they best separated?

taye said:

A congo happens when 2 or more dreads start growing together to become one dread.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's not good or bad really, it's your own preference. If you don't ever separate, you might end up with one giant dread though, so if you want to keep them all separate then separat them. If you want, you can let a few of them join and see how you feel about it, it's just down to what you think. Anyway, sounds like you have the patience and everything, so it might take a while because your hair might need to be longer, but it'll happen eventually.

Adam Williams said:

Ah ok - is this good or bad? And are they best separated?

taye said:

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

It depends on your tastes. Some people love congos and encourage them. Other people don't want them so they keep all of their dreads separated. There is an issue with congos....but it can be dealt with. Because congos can be really thick..it takes longer for them to dry (as in days to dry) Prolonged dampness can encourage mold.

Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
Wow, it's amazing how much different things there is to attaining perfect dreads.Also ( my apologies for the millions of questions) are essential oils such as Tea Tree and Rosemary advisable this early?

taye said:

It depends on your tastes. Some people love congos and encourage them. Other people don't want them so they keep all of their dreads separated. There is an issue with congos....but it can be dealt with. Because congos can be really thick..it takes longer for them to dry (as in days to dry) Prolonged dampness can encourage mold.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form