Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new and not sure what to do.

Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

So I really want to dread my hair, but it is only 5-7 inches long or so. I am a waitress so I con't look like a mess. They need to look presentable from the beginning. Any advice of what method to use, or if I even can dread my hair at this length...???

updated by @erin-kochera: 02/14/15 12:16:33PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You can definitely start that short. I did.

I'd say start with the Twist and Rip method. They will look the most presentable for a while till you wash them, and they become a tangled mess again. But it's OK, you can put beads on the to help keep the sections separated. You can always wear them tied back or with a nice bandanna to keep them out of the way. If your boss tries to give you grief about food safety, which they probably will, offer to wear a plain black tam, or something that will keep them out of the food. I know people here will say that you should never have to hide them, but be honest, would you be as willing to eat if your waitress (even with straight hair) just let it fly loosely around your food?

The beads will also help keep those loose hairs attached to your locks

Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

So the next question is are they gonna stick out from my head at this length? And if I use that method is there any maintenance besides washing them?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you do it right, no, they wont stick out. Yo don't need to pull them so tight down to your scalp that it hurts. In fact, if it's still a little loose around the root, it's ok, even better. They lock faster and easier if they have room to move. That way they will stay laying flat. One might decide to stick out a little, but that's natural. You wont end up looking like Sideshow Bob. Don't worry about that.

And no, once you do the TnR method once, you don't have to do anything except wash. If you feel like you want them to look a little more maintained for any reason, there's a new locking gel from dreadlockshampoo.com. It's not a wax or anything like that. Ask SE about it. He's giving it a shot on his beard locks. And he's the biggest advocate for natural/neglect. If he's willing to use it, it's got to be fine.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

any method will work at 6 inches

even natue=ral and if u go natural u do not need to look o=presentable from day 1 you can say i am chooseing to let my hair dread for spiritual reasons and they cannoyt tell you what to do with your hair

but if you want then use twist and rip nothing eklse

but they will go tho[]rough plenty of mesy days u just got to accept that its all parrt of dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

backcomb and wax and crocher make em stick out tnr they lay down looking nice

Erin Kochera said:

So the next question is are they gonna stick out from my head at this length? And if I use that method is there any maintenance besides washing them?

--
Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

so what about the locking gel SE is it any good?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the www.dreadlockshampoo.com gel?

its the only 1 id erecomend yea its not like others it leaves no residues no flaking smells yummy

you can just take some loose hair put it on and twist it in (not twuisting tight like african salons do mind u just as u run your hand down the section do a lil light twisting motion dont even gotta do a full 360 degres byut u can if its long that will just woirk it in and get it together)

u do that once a day and in no time u find its starting to dread up

--
Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

Wow I am really happy with how my dreads are coming along....thanks people!!

Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

Alright so after a week, I have 1-2 inches of loose hair on the tips and roots of my dreads..Normal I suppose? Is it best to just leave them be? Does it hurt to re TnR the ends?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form