Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

DHHQ Dread Shampoo Review - No BS No Bias

Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
When i first started my locks i bought into the whole DHHQ instant dreadlocks scam, and one of the products that i bought was their dread shampoo. This product is different from all of their others in one fundamental way:Its one of their only products that wont harm your dreadlocksWith that said, I will give it an honest and unbiased review, while comparing it to SE's baking soda wash and Dr.B s soap.First off, the ingredients. This thing reads like a prescription. If your into all natural, this definitely isnt a product for you. But suppose your like me and arent too put off by chemicals. Maybe you care less about whats in it and more about its effectiveness. So how does it hold up as a shampoo?Well, the short answer is: Its okay. It certainly leaves your head feeling cleaner than before washing. One of my main complaints about it is the amount of scrubbing it takes to get this stuff to lather. Seriously, it has the consistency of water. This presents a problem for baby locks like mine (5 weeks) as the scrubbing really loosens up some hair. For this fact alone, SE's baking soda wash wins big time. If your locks are more mature, I dont see dread loosening as too much of a problem.Another complaint i have with this product is the cost. Now both DHHQ and Dr B's charge 10 bucks for a sixteen ounce bottle, but you have to consider that Dr B's instructs you to dilute to a 1:12 ratio. This effectively gives you twelve times the shampoo at the same cost. If you want the cheapest alternative, SE's baking soda wash costs pennies.The one redeeming factor of DHHQ's shampoo is that its completly residue free. This is where it could be slightly better than Dr B's in some peoples perspective as Dr Bronners contains oils to help with specific problems. Unfortunatly, these oils might make the dread process take slightly longer. Keep in mind though that SE's baking soda wash is also completly residue free and incredibly cheap and effective.So overall, DHHQ's shampoo is satisfactory but nothing more. It gets your hair cleaner without excelling in any particular category. Buy it if you want but dont expect anything spectacultPS. For shits and giggles here's the prescription bottle ingredients i was referencing earlierwater, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, cocoamidopropyl betaine, sodium chloride, sodium glycolate, 7-ethylbicyclooxazolidine, cocoamidoproply dimethylamine, tetrasodium EDTA, 4,4-dimethyloxazolidine, mixture of 5-chloro-2-methyl-isothiazol-3(2H)-one and 2-methylisothiazol-3(2H)-one with magnesium chloride and magnesium nitrate
updated by @daniel: 01/13/15 08:28:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
wow thats a science experiment gone mad i dont even wanna look that stuff up but i hear avoid sls (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) over and over the second ingredient. i beliewve its linked to cancer or birth deffects? one or the other its in most shampoos but i'm constantly hearing that it should be avoided.just to clear up something (again) the baking soda thing, i heard about it from kyndmama but its been around for ages often used in long hair care. i cant claim it as mine in any way, nor do i want to. its a common folk remidy .i did modify kyndmammas recipie for the 1 i posted here because she added lemmon juice (acid and base creates a reaction, lotsa bubbling but i found it made my hair too frizzy and soft so i cut that out)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
from wikiSLES has been shown to increase the frequency of canker sores among people with frequent recurring sores. People with recurrent canker sores are thus recommended to avoid use of toothpastes containing sodium laureth sulfate.[3] While SLS is a known irritant,[4][5] evidence and research suggest that SLES can also cause irritation after extended exposure in some people.[6][7]Toxicology research by the OSHA, NTP, and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that SLES is not a carcinogen.[8] However, SLES and SLS, and products containing them, have been found to contain very low levels of the known carcinogen 1,4-dioxane, with the recommendation that these levels be monitored.[9] The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers 1,4-dioxane to be a probable human carcinogen (having observed an increased incidence of cancer in controlled animal studies, but not in epidemiological studies of workers using the compound), and a known irritant (with a no-observed-adverse-effects level of 400 milligrams per cubic meter) at concentrations significantly higher than those found in commercial products.[10] While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration encourages manufacturers to remove 1,4-dioxane, it is not required by federal law.[11]concidering the fact that sls is in almost all soaps and shampoos (not dr bronners or baking soda)its probably a good idea to try avoiding it as much as possible. exposure levels can add up quickly when 20 different products in your home all contain sls

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dr bronners ingediants for comparisonINGREDIENTS: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
So I got to thinking after reading this, not only does DHHQ endorse all this garbage to destroy dreads. They help along stereotypes. I actually watched the wax controversy video. Not only did I feel like Jonny Clean was taking me for some kind of idiot, but it seems that they endorse the "dread stoner" stereotype. "Ned The Dread" sure does remind me of cheech and chong, and Yay for the stoner graphics. I mean isnt it bad enough to kill dreads? but they endorse the stereotypes aswell?and I also think that tomoro I'm going to have to pick up some SLS free toothpaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i agree 100% he insults theyre inteligence with every word and flasghes a distractinbg graphic eberytime he says anything that makes no sence.after going through his myspace freinds and adding them all i found 1/2 of them where silly kids who add everybody to try to seem popular (they use auto add things to get thousands of adds a day..silly) alotta ppl that fall for the dreadhewadhq scam just seem so easily impressed with that sorta thing and are mostly young and just think its so cool cause its flashy stoner stuff..not all ofcourse many are looking for legit info and theres just sooooooooooooooooooo many spammy sites saying dreadheadhq is god that they believe itbut we are slowly gaining ground on them in search engines altho they probly paid alotta money to have theyre sites optimized to do so well and some things this sites just limmited in the ammount of control u got over code n stuff but we are gaining ground so someday we may be able to reach a decent percentage before they get scamed..then maybe the word of mouth stuff will turn against them..thats where the impact needs to be made when more ppl on the steet say avoid wax then say go buy gunk..its slowly turning that way if u just look on youtube at how many dread updates now say stuff like 3 month update no wax..the no wax idea is spreading (funny that it should have to spread since its the natural way all dreads were till these sites started selling dreads in a box) Jo said:
So I got to thinking after reading this, not only does DHHQ endorse all this garbage to destroy dreads. They help along stereotypes. I actually watched the wax controversy video. Not only did I feel like Jonny Clean was taking me for some kind of idiot, but it seems that they endorse the "dread stoner" stereotype. "Ned The Dread" sure does remind me of cheech and chong, and Yay for the stoner graphics. I mean isnt it bad enough to kill dreads? but they endorse the stereotypes aswell?

and I also think that tomoro I'm going to have to pick up some SLS free toothpaste

--
crazy87jim
@crazy87jim
12 years ago
8 posts

My main problem with Sodium Laureth Sulfate is tht it is a product of experimenting on animals

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and causes cancer in animals? and psoriasis dermatitis hair loss etc etc etc

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form