Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Entering week2...

Amanda Curcic
@amanda-curcic
12 years ago
4 posts

Hey guys! i'm amanda, I'm entering my second week of having dreads. my friend back combed them for me and after doing some research on this site i decided to just let them do their own thing. i only used wax one or two times and haven't washed my hair at all...well i used a dry shampoo spray on my roots to soak up oil and what not bc i can't stand that greasy scalp look. i also have the rubber bands to keep them together but whatever ones haven't already broke are going to be taken out this weekend. my dreads look a little frizzy now and i wanted to know what i could use to control them, or should i let them just do their own thing ? also, what are some good ways to tighten my dreads? they feel pretty good, but there are some flat spots in some dreads. also, i read somewhere that wearing like a knitted hat is good to keep the roots from staying too loose today? idk, I'm a dread rookie and any advice will be considered!

updated by @amanda-curcic: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ha. I'll step in before Eagle does.

WASH THEM. Don't mean to yell. But they will only lock up it you get them wet.

Second, but should be first. GET THE WAX OUT! I can't stress this enough. There's plenty of posts to do this and one at the top of the page under dreaducation. Most likely, once you get all the wax out that way, you'll be pretty much back to ground zero. Your best bet would be to just wash them and comb them out till all the wax is gone. You can't leave it in there because it will cause mold and end up rotting inside. It smells and deteriorates the locks. They can and probably will just end up falling out. There are a dozen places I've posted my horrific experience with wax. Don't let yourself end up like that.

Good to hear you know about taking the bands out, but with the wax, the bands are the least of your worries.

I wouldn't worry at this stage about wearing a tam or anything. Just get all the crap out of your hair and take it from there. They take a while to form, but if you do it naturally, or with a little twist and rip at the beginning and the beginning only, your hair will be healthier and more likely to knot up faster.

Get the wax out as soon as possible and then post again. We'll be more than happy to help you get started and move along your journey

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
12 years ago
336 posts

hahaha, Bobbi'] yeah, no bands, no wax, no back comb...all bad. Just let them be sweetie and they will dread on their own. Frizzy/messy is a desirous state here. I'm sure Soaring Eagle will give you more info. xo & God Bless your journey']

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

emobve tghe wax and bands..today not this weekend all traces of wax must be removed

wash your hair1 u should be wasghi9ng 1-3 times a week

dry shampoo dont do niothinyg u gotta wash

the bands and wax must cvome out evenb if uit means starting over

do noyt tey to tighten the4m let them tighten themselves even if they loosen 1st

dont do nothing to the roots

all u gotta do is remove wax and bands and wash wash wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amanda Curcic
@amanda-curcic
12 years ago
4 posts

well, i took everything out and have washed once ever 3 or 4 days... the locks are becoming a bit loose and I've been doing my best not to mess around with them too much. just bummed they are a bit loose :(

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's how it goes. You take one giant step forward to set them up. Then they take a few big steos backward after the first wash or 3. Then its only forward from then on. They do fall apart at first, but they will come back together quick enough. Whatever you did to get them started only acts like a blueprint for where they will eventually section.

Did you get all the wax out?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your bummed that they are loose when thety are just 2 weeks old? how do u expect them to be fully formed mature dreads in weeks? it takes time! they tighten slowly as knots form and tighten and dreads shrink.. the 1st 2-3 months after backcombing will be more loosening then tightening but its part of the process

dont worry dont get bummed..enjoty the journey!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amanda Curcic
@amanda-curcic
12 years ago
4 posts

yeah the wax is out, so I'm all good there. i know, patience is a virtue, they just look messy but I'm over it. just letting nature take its course. some are starting to come together at the roots so I've been separating them

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

excellent. I'm sure that process wasn't fun. Good to hear though. check out my photos of me blowing bubbles if you want soreassurancethat they can look goofy and still end up looking good

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form