Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice on dying dreads from brown to blonde.

Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Hey, so I've had dreads for...4 months now. They are knotted and tight, they are looking pretty awesome, everyone of them has kinks and twists, hoops etc. Some are combining at the root too, which is nice because my dreads are pretty thin.

I suddenly have the urge to dye my dreads blonde, I'm attached to my natural haircolour, it took me so long to get it back, but I find that blonde dreads are really pretty, plus it gives me the option to dye it sharp red if I choose. My last set of dreads use to be blonde but I dyed them well before I dreaded, so I'm not sure how to go about doing it this time. Friends keep telling me that I will have to bleach them, but I've gone from brown to black to blonde and so on tons of times never having to use bleach.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. My hair is medium to dark brown, sholder length, and I really want to go blonde, not super blonde, white or yellowish blonde. I plan on making a trip up to walmart later to look at some dyes (preferably I would go to Sallys or a salon or something, but there is a pretty big empty spot in my wallet right now hah)...

A couple specific questions: It's been a while since I dyed my hair, how long should I wait before dying a second time (if the dye doesn't take, or I miss some spots)?

After a while of dying some years ago box dyes stopped having the effect that they use to, I'm hoping since it's been a while I won't have that problem, but does anyone know of any brands that work exceptionally well? There were some I used that still worked but like I said, it's been a while. :)

Lastly, before I only needed to use one box, when my hair was this length but undreaded. Will I need two now that I have dreads?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long-winded post. :P

updated by @lora-e: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u have an urge wait and see if the urge passes

if u can avoid dying you should

go sit in the sun awhile

the sun will make it blonder slowly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

haha yeah I waited for a while. I like to change things up a little. No sun here, just snow. :P

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

want to change things around? add beads bells bobbles feathers hemp antlers bones sticks stones rings and pretty things

--
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Thanks any ways, I do have a couple semi precious stones in my hair. Which I need to take out now cuz I bought bleach. Hoping this works okay... thinking I might only bleach the bottom half of my dreads but that might look stupid. :S

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id talk it over with panterra b4 u do just to be safe weve seen some real disasters well 1 in particular when a loctician did a dread perm over already damaged bleached hair and it all started falling out and was a disaster

so if u proceed get panterras expert advice to get it done right and safely as can be

--
Lora E
@lora-e
13 years ago
10 posts

Thanks. That would be horrible, having my hair fall out that is. I don't see Panterra online, I posted in the discussion though to see if anyone has any advice before I cover my head in chems. It should go fine... I am nervous about the outcome but as long as my hair doesn't fall out lol

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
13 years ago
87 posts

theres no way you went from black to blonde and didnt use bleach hon. you had to lift the color somehow. and the only way to do that is with bleach. maybe you didnt know the product you used had bleach?

im with SE on this one. see if it passes. pray that it passes. bleach is only going to severely damage your hair. but if you still are stuck on it...please dont get a box from walmart. go to sally. its not that expensive. and do ONE dread first to make sure its even going to turn out like you want it. mine always turned an ugly orange color and i had to reapply bleach again, which severely damaged my hair. ( pre-dreads of course) to this day there is a huge difference in the feel of the strands i had bleached vs my natural hair color. even if your hair doesnt fall out, it may very well break off.

if youre still set on doing it, good luck to you. this is just my experience with bleach.

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

If you do bleach and decide to do so at home, research first, check out what the active ingredients are and how they work and pick your product based on that.

Also, don't go for the whole thing. Do not bleach your whole head, heck don't even bleach whole locks.

Do some tips, (like frosting!) as a test, to see how your hair tolerates the treatment.
Also, so you don't get the sharp colour transition between bleached and roots.

All in all, the less you do the better your locks will be for it.
I'm not one to tell you "not" to do it as I do dye my hair myself.
I've a mousy brown colour that's fast turning gray and I dye blue.

YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

im on the fence about dumping a bunch of bleach on my head...........

i love the look, dark hair...fully bleached, but i dont wanna ruin my dreads by doing it.

i use sun-in, and love it, but i dont wash my hair much right now, so all that crap stays in there.

maybe i'll mess w/ bleaching some parts on a trial basis when they get more mature

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form