Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

About dreads and crochet hooks

Andréa Columbus
@andra-columbus
13 years ago
7 posts

Hi! I'm Andi, and I've been dreading for about 4 months.I used a crochet hook, which I still use sometimes, but not that often anymore. Since crocheting can damage you dreads, but that's only if you do it like everyday.

And that's actually what I wanna talk about. People are saying that crocheting can backfire the process, but that's SOOOO not true.Crocheting actually helps your dreads too lock up faster. If you don't want like neglected messy dreads, and can't wait until they actually form to real dreads, you can use a crochet hook. They'll probably be mature already at 6 months! And that's really awesome.

Don't flame at me because of this. I know this by fact, since this is not the first set of dreads I've had, and I've made dreads on other people and they turned perfect.

updated by @andra-columbus: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Leah "Paddish"
@leah-paddish
13 years ago
16 posts

I'm glad I am not the only one that didn't have crocheting backfire. I don't over-do it but on occasion I will tame some fly aways with a small hook. I don't do it to the point where my hair is breaking, just enough to make them look a little neater. I also dislike the beginning stages where the ends are very loose and frayed looking so I pull those up into my dreads. It seems to help them lock up better. Happy dreading!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it sure does baxckfitre because they are not dreaded but woven and they woill not even begin to dread properly iuntill at least 6 months to a year agfter you stop crochetting

you have crochetted hair thats not dreads they will not start to dread for a long time after you stop the crocheting and let them dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Leah "Paddish"
@leah-paddish
13 years ago
16 posts

Oh...I see..makes sense. I will throw out my hook and use it no more! I will listen to the one who has been dreading much longer than myself. >< (That's what I get for watching youtube to figure out how to dread)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the 1 guy teaching crochet on yourtube pulls his girlfreinds dreasd right ioff with a tiny tug a dread that should take 500-1000 pounds of pull to break broke with just ounces of pressure

to the op

u wont know how much its delayed progreess till u stop it completely for a year

thats the same thing ppl claim about wax that wax makes them mature in months but then 5 years later you remove the wax and find its not dreaded at all and only begins to dread when the wax is removed

the same is true of crochert except that they have to loosen up drasticly to begin to dread

and that loosening takes 6 months to over a year till they are loose enoy=ugh..and no longer stiff so they can begin to dread right

--
Leah "Paddish"
@leah-paddish
13 years ago
16 posts

Wow...I almost wish I had watched that guys videos, maybe I would have never thought to use the crochet hook. The videos I watched are http://youtu.be/gt3d3N-rKbg and http://youtu.be/dr4wqlfvruI I figured (at the time) "Hey she's got dreads, she HAS to know what she is talking about." Apparently not. Thanks for making me understand why it's best to leave them be.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

theres alot of em pushing crochet

theres alot that lose dreads to crochet too

1 of my freinds crocheted obsessivly and hers were totaly destroyed

she went through 3 sets of dreads in under a year

we had 1 guy who dove in a pool and found 4 dreads floating away broke off from the water impact it was a high dive like 10 or 15 feet vbut still should not have broke off dreads

yea youtubes a bad place for info its mostly newbies showing newbies how to make the mistakes hey made

u gotta realize on youtube if u peirce your ear with a nail gun you will get hundre=ds more who w9ll try it too ..and make a vid which gets hundreds more to try it..and make a vid

--
Andréa Columbus
@andra-columbus
13 years ago
7 posts

@soaring eagle

Didn't you read my first post? I made it clear that you shouldn't OVER DO IT.

There's nothing wrong with crocheting, if you do it the right way. I don't get why you say they would break off, because that's not true! I've been crocheting mine, and they're beyond perfect right now. Your friend that practically tore their dreads off must truly be (excuse me for my expression, but I don't know how else to say it) completely fucking idiots. It's just stupid.

Do it the right way and it will be fine!

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

The thing about crocheting is that it's easy to snap a hair or two with a piece of metal and not even feel it when the hairs snapped/broken are inside the lock.

Yes, I do believe that it's possible, with great care and patience, to use a crochet hook to your advantage, but it's very likely that if it's used often that it will result in many broken/snapped hairs within the lock, weakening it significantly, with out you knowing about it until you find the lock has broken off completely.

At the end of the day, a crochet needle is a "short cut" and you know how they usually work out...
Hop a fence, land in mud, end up having to go around something, etc... Lots more work and doesn't actually save you any time, and may even cost you time and your pants with it!
Yes, there are exceptions, but they're few and far between.

With the crochet needle you're doing more work on your locks which feels natural to us folks used to needing to brush hair or fuss with it in any way to make it do what we want it to do, but it's not likely it'll help make the hair lock up faster, nor better, and it can get in the way of them doing what they "need" to do to form and mature naturally, meaning that the new growth will, in alllikelihood, be a "problem" until you've left it alone for several months, which will be hard because you're used to controlling your hair rather than letting it do it's own thing.

By the by, I did use crochet needle to tighten up my locks in the past. (I had an "excuse" but still!)
I too felt it didn't do 'em any harm... but I'm not going to do it again, and now that about an inch of fresh lock's formed at the roots of the old ones, I can feel the difference, even if it's been a lot of months and the locks have mostly recovered.
Honestly, I don't think one can ever really, fully undo the effects of the crochet on the texture and feel of the locks.

Andréa Columbus
@andra-columbus
13 years ago
7 posts

BUT OMG DIDN'T YOU READ MY FIRST POST???????????????

It says clearly that CROCHETING CAN DAMAGE YOUR HAIR IF YOU DO IT TO OFTEN, just like you and that soaring eagle guy said! Dude, seriously, read it thoroughly BEFORE you reply to it.

This is not first set of dread I've had. I had about ten in my neck, and those weren't crocheted. Seriously, I don't feel the difference between crocheted and "natural" dreads.

Just let people what the fuck they want to do with their dreadlock, if they want to crochet them, let them do it, it's not your fucking life.

/ 6

Dislike 4

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form