Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just A Few Questions?

Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

Well, I had dreads done less than three days ago with the backcombing method, and I used wax. After coming across this site, I've decided not to use it anymore (only used it that one time). Anyway, the thing is, some of them are pretty loose now, pretty much just like normal hair. Should I just leave them anyway and let them do their own thing, or is there something else I can do to help them get tighter?

Also, my hair is pretty wild and frizzy. All of them have like the "body" of hair, and then a huge amount of hair just sticking out all around it (not just at the root, but from the root to the tip). Will this go away as they lock up? I don't expect or want perfect dreads, so I understand they won't be perfectly round and have no hairs sticking out, but there are probably hundreds in each part, so that's quite a lot. Would I be able to smooth more of them out as they tighten?

I know it's only been three days so I sound paranoid, but most people on here have done it naturally and their dreads still look so neat and everything, so I'm just wondering if my hair being all messy right now is OK, if it'll get better and still lock up

Oh yeah, and one last thing (sorry, I know it's a lot): I bought the KnottyBoy shampoo for my hair, it says it's all natural and I have eczema, and it's literally the only shampoo I've had that hasn't hurt my scalp. Is this OK to use or will it cause problems?

updated by @tara-c: 01/13/15 09:07:59PM
Andrea Schneider
@andrea-schneider
13 years ago
51 posts

leave them alone and let them do there own thing. you can help them along by spraying salt water on them for locking. Dreadlocks take a long process. you aren't going to have beautiful dreads right away. they will probably look terrible for awhile.

as for the shampoo, i have no idea. have you tried baking soda and water? it's much gentler on new baby dreads

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Backcombing is a starter method. It kinda shapes your hair into a dread like form. But it takes up to a year or so before that form knots into a mature dread. It is perfectly normal for back combed dreads to be frizzy and fuzzy. That just goes away with time. Knotty boy shampoo is not a cleaner that i would recommend to people, but if it is working for you....use it :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

baking soda teatree rosemary pepermint acv will help ypuir exzema much more id try it al least to see

backcombing kinda mangles the hair up a bit so yea they will be fuzzy as hell awhile nothing to worry bout tho

id worry bout the wax u did use and try to get it ouit

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

The shampoo says it has teatree, rosemary and peppermint in it, but I'll give your suggestion ago anyway and see how it is. Yeah, I put some wax in the first time but not since then. I've washed it out I think, it doesn't feel like there's any more wax in them. By the way, is it OK to wash them before they've really made any progress, or does it just stop them from locking?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wax stops the progressinmg washoing causes progression wax does not wash out though at least not withoit extreme effort

u should still do wax removal to be sure u get it all out

just cause u cant feel it dont mean its not there

espexcialy if u blow dried to melt it in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts
Thanks for the advice everyone :)
Dislike 0

Tags