Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seemingly Unique Dreadlock Issues

Alexandria
@alexandria
13 years ago
3 posts
I've got shiny, slick hair but I decided that I wanted to dread it. Dreadlocks have been something that I've wanted for a long time and I committed to at least a year of dready heaven but something seems to have taken a wrong turn.I dreaded my hair approximately five days ago, using the backcombing method. My dreads looked great the first day I had them, like they're supposed to. The second day was alright, and the third day I could tell that they were getting a little raggedy. Now, on my fifth day, I have woken up to completely unraveled dreadlocks. The hair is still sectioned accordingly, it just doesn't seem to be knotted anymore.The only thing that I can think of is my palm rolling. Every single time I palm roll, my dreadlocks seem to un-knot and get looser. I don't understand why this method doesn't work for me when it works for practically everybody else with dreadlocks. I am at the beach right now and my hair did get a little bit wet but salt water is supposed to help your dreads lock up, right? Not the case with mine.If you can help it's greatly appreciated.
updated by @alexandria: 01/13/15 09:07:47PM
DOC
@doc
13 years ago
5 posts

Patience my friend. You said you started your dreads 5 day ago. You WILL NOT have mature dreads by day 6. This is a journey it takes time, like in months, not days. Some will be flat, some will unknot, some will be perfect all in "their" own time. If you want dreads in a week go to a salon, if you want mature healthy dreads that still look good years down the road then neglect 'em. Quit looking in the mirror or comparing your dreads to someone's in a magazine. All dreads are individual creations for that person and will look how they are gonna look. Give 'em time, smoke a fatty and forget about 'em.

Alexandria
@alexandria
13 years ago
3 posts
Thank you, friend. You really put my mind at ease.I did a lot of reading about dreadlocks and I guess just seeing em unravel like that freaked me out. I'll leave them alone!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

why are u palm rolling? and backcomb isnt the graeattest method either

palm ri=]ollings for making candles with wax not dreads dreads should be left alonbe to dread

and they get worse b4 they get better

just give em time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts

Adding to DOC's reply.

As long as you can notice individual sections your dreadlocks are fine.

Don't let the maturing process get you worried.

Mark Fry
@mark-fry
13 years ago
39 posts

It will take time hey. My dreads took for ever to start looking good. Months in fact. Quite a few of my dreads split as well, making the sections look like two different smaller dreads. My advice is a little skewed as I know I went the wrong way about dreading ie.. wax and crocheting. But what I think is best for you is to leave them alone. Natural dreads are by far the best and healthiest. But if you feel the need to have them sectioned like I did, leave the rubber bands in for a week then take them out and see what amazing dreads form.

Also, when people first start to dread we all have some that take more time than others and some hair that just wont find it's way into a dreads. That's fine. That is normal. My dreads took 10 months before they were really well formed and started growing.

Good luck with your journey :)

Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
Back combing sucks. I don't understand why people don't do dreads the real way. Actually I do, most people today are all about instant gratification. They want awesome dreadlocks tommorow. I will tell you, this is not how dreadlocks roll. They are all about the patience baby!
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
Why even dread your hair if you are committed to a year? I just don't understand the point of fucking up your hair if you plan on getting rid of them. A year is not long, its like a minute of your life span.
Chris Anderson
@chris-anderson
13 years ago
6 posts

Before I came across this site I "started" my dreads by backcombing, luckily with no wax. They pretty much completely fell out within a week. I didn't know anyone with dreads when I started so i had no idea what the process really was. I did some reading and discovered the natural and from there I just let them do there own thing.

On a side note someone asked if i put wax in my dreads yesterday at school. I was getting ready to explain the natural process to them but when I answered no, they replied "All natural, good choice" Apparently not everyone has been brainwashed with lies by some other web sites :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form