Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

cutting dreads

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
SO, my dreads have shrunk A LOT and in the process they have formed into dread lumps or dread clumps {with loose hair hanging from that} at the bottom. The root to approx midlength is thinner than this clump of dreaded hair at the bottom of the dreadlock. So, I am wondering {not necessarily even considering, just wondering} what would happen if I cut the dread clumps off? I know that my hair would be super short, but besides that what would happen? Would my locks unravel {they are feeling like they are really getting on the way to mature at 10 months now}. I just really am not a huge fan of the dread clump tip. If I don't cut it, will my dreadlocks eventually be a more uniform thickness and the tips not be SO much thicker than the shaft/roots? When could I expect that to happen?
updated by @mama-harrison: 01/13/15 08:59:52PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

what will happen if u cut those sexy tips off? u will cry i will spank u u will miss them you will wonder why you ever did that

you'll hope the new short ends do something simular

theres nothing wrong with them they are perfect as they are

they look amazing

we want more pics so we can drench em in drool

you dont know how lucky you are to have such interesting tips

love em

show em off

get praise and admiration

but dont ya dare cut em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Danielle Young
@danielle-young
13 years ago
6 posts

I believe soaringeagle is right...

I've seen your pics and I think those locs are meant to be the way they are. They have their own identity and were meant to be. It would be something close to an atrocityto cut them. Your locs are unique (and beautiful), as I'm sure you are unique too. Perhaps the tips will settle in over time, but you've got to give them the chance first. Don't be upset by them, own them.

Can't put my finger on it but they have a purpose. Don't know if anyone has ever "divined" loc tips, but there should be a method for it somewhere (lol).

Dana
@dana
13 years ago
9 posts
many of mine are doing similar things.. my dreads are also 10 months...hmm I cut one of mine a few months ago and I regret it. I didn't like the face that they were clumping up so much. But they are still changing and I feel like my roots to the clumpy parts still have a lot of thickening up to do and the clumpy parts are still changing and shifting...It's amazing how much a dread can change over night. Your hair looks and will look amazing!
Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts
NOOOOOOO! DONT DO IT!!!! I LOVE the bottoms of peoples dreads! I hope mine go all crazy someday when they mature!! ANd i looked at ur pics and ur dreads roccccccckkkkk!
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
thanks for reminding me that this isn't about controlling what my dreadlocks do or how they lock, but about accepting them and myself even when they are at funky, awkward stages that make me uncomfortable. Like I said in the OP--I wasn't actually gonna do it, just wondering about it. I am a lazy, minimalist and as such I rarely take action in these types of situations, I prefer to just wait it out ;) Thanks.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Hey mama! I can (almost) 100% gaurantee you that they will not stay like that. Between years 1 & 3 there will be so many changes I def. wouldn't recommend cutting them (I know u said you wouldn't but I had to throw it out there!). I have seen quite a few sets start out like that in the first year and then completely morph. Hang in there sister, i too sometimes feel like the insanity that is my hair will never subside but I know sooner or later I will miss the madness of it all when it settles down. Much Love
Danielle Young
@danielle-young
13 years ago
6 posts
I have two locs that have a large loop towards the bottom. Sometimes I get frustrated, but then I usually decide I don't want to look at them anymore and wrap my head up. Out of sight, out of mind. Usually by the time I unwrap, they look so good I've forgotten all about it. The time I usually notice the loops are with washing, I also notice the stray hair that has come out of the lock, the hair around the edges of my forehead, one crooked one, a super skinny one... I just have to remind myself that I am not my own best critic. My boyfriend grabs a handful and praises them - he's my critic and whose opinion I need to stick to because I'm harder on myself than is necessary.

fancyAmanda said:
I have many that are doing exactly what yours are doing, but it's all part of the process! I actually found myself wondering...
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form