Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New here, Hello to all. Starting My Dreads

Fitzy
@fitzy
13 years ago
5 posts

Hey there everyone, Im new to the site and forums.

WellI guessI should let you know somethings about me so people dont have to ask questions that should be answered in the beginning. lol
My hair is quite thick and straight, its about 4 1/2 inches right now.

Really dont know how should go about getting these dreads(done myself,salon or indie white girls) or which way they should be done technique wise.

IREALLY wanna have them for BONNAROO 2011 in june and hoping that is giving me enough of a window???

also am going to the Caribbean in two weeks time and was wondering if that would help my hair at all if i wanted to get it done before or after.

and what would be better before or after to get it done?For some reason im thinking if i got them done and then went down the salt water may cause it to lock up more.??

Any Hints and Tips would be appreciated.

updated by @fitzy: 02/14/15 07:27:35AM
Fitzy
@fitzy
13 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for looking over my thread people. glad to know you like to help out newbies.....Sarcasm
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Chillax! All of the methods for dreading your hair are here:

http://http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/dreading-methods

If you ask most people, they will probably say neglect/natural or twist and rip.

Definitely start before the Carribean, go swimming in the sea lots and the salt will help! Just make sure to keep separating so that your hair doesn't all turn into one massive lock :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

agreed neglect or twist and rip no salon no salon no salon no products no tools

neglects best but if your goals to have dreads for bonaroo neglect may not get u there or may

twist n rip will but (ewhen is bonoroo?) they will still be young dreads

umm are u dreading just for bonaroo? u know dreads shouldbe a pernmenant commitment not a fashion thing to look cool for a show

cause of this neglect is the best way to go but for bonawho you wont be looking all too dready probly but by the next 1 u will have amazing naturtal dreads

and ocean helps camping helps getting away from mirrors and caring whsar u look like helps

instead of trying to have dreads by a date u should be trying to grow dreads that last a lifetime

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Fitzy
@fitzy
13 years ago
5 posts
sorry to everyone for getting upset in eariler post, i was up all night and well when i posted something 3 or 4 hours before someone else and then i come back and 4 replyposts on his and 0 on mine. I was kinda cheesed.

and no its not just a bonnaroo thing,I have wanted them for years and well im 20 now and thinking i should do it well younger so got dreads till im like 25 or something and dont really get in the way of any oppurtunitys thats come after that.

and bonnaroo is in mid june 9th-12th. so if was to do the dreads now at 4 and half inches, you think the 3 inches of dreads it would mold into would be tight or just loose still like i had em done?

Thanks again for the replys i will read EVERY single word lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

when ya post really late at night its possible they get missed srry bout that most get responces quickly but some slip through since only 10 most recent show ion the main page

well

4 inches will be lil short tho u can tntr they may become pretty loose hb4 dreading another inch would make alotta difference tho u can do it at 4

they'd probly be somewhat formed by then im guessing if u go straight from bonaroo to the gathering and stay there through the end then youd be in great shape probly by the main week even

but again more length would helkp alot

--
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

I guess just start and see what happens. If you've always wanted them then the worse that can happen is they are still maturing when you get there... Not really a bad result :)

No worries about the sarcasm :D If you hadn't commented I might not have seen your post. The world works in mysterious ways!! ;)

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
unfortunately, like the replies you receive on here, it takes time. Probably about a year for them to lock up and look very good. But you don't "do" dreads either. You can sort of kick start the process, but by june, 4 months or so, not going to have a lot of progress.But who cares, just start them tomorrow. It's just bonaroo lol

Fitzy said:
Thanks for looking over my thread people. glad to know you like to help out newbies.....Sarcasm
Fitzy
@fitzy
13 years ago
5 posts

im talking length wise not so much tightness cause I know not much i can do about that, besides the few things everyone mentions

guess what I'm really asking is once i back comb my hair of 4 and half inches how long you think the dreads will be?? sticking straight up still or long enough that i can train them down with a hat??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dont backcomb if u dont want to look like a clown use twist and rip they will behave better from the start

they wont look like sideshow bob

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form