Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Im begining to hate my hair

Joe muir
@joe-muir
13 years ago
75 posts
I have been going for almost 7 months and I am not liking the results at all. everything looks awful and I feel like shaving my head. it will be another 5 months until a year and I am very doubtful of what will come. everything just looks undone and matted together. the only dreads that have had any progress are the front, (they always looked good though). the back looks atrocious and I dont think it will get any better.
updated by @joe-muir: 01/13/15 08:56:03PM
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
post pics please.. this is how i feel right now too but i'm only at a little over three months so not really considering shaving my hair
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts
post some pics please.. you might be able to push them along with some light backcombing and t&r. with some people that's totally necessary. what's your washing routine? if anything you can still use V05 conditioner and recover your hair by coming gently. it'll take a while but the knots can come out. then you can start over if you choose to. as for the "matted together" part in the front, that's a good thing because that's what dreads are right, matted hair? Maybe separate the front into little sections and help them along with backcomb/t&r.
Joe muir
@joe-muir
13 years ago
75 posts
I said the front looks fine. I was talking about the back. everything is seperated, but it looks matted together. like I said it just looks awful and has the look of reverse progress. I shower every other day (I dont shower on weekends) I wrestled for 3 1/2 months where I showered everyday, because you need to be careful and cleanin the sport. and im sorry but I dont feel comfortable posting pictures, Im not one to do that.

calipark said:
post some pics please.. you might be able to push them along with some light backcombing and t&r. with some people that's totally necessary. what's your washing routine? if anything you can still use V05 conditioner and recover your hair by coming gently. it'll take a while but the knots can come out. then you can start over if you choose to. as for the "matted together" part in the front, that's a good thing because that's what dreads are right, matted hair? Maybe separate the front into little sections and help them along with backcomb/t&r.
Joe muir
@joe-muir
13 years ago
75 posts
thank. it just seems that its never going to get better. I mean they looked decent 2 months ago, but now......bleh

Knottysleeves said:

It's very common for dreads to get worse before they get better. :-) It's just one of those challenges you gotta stick through in order to get to glorious maturity. 7 months is still relatively young in the grand scheme of things, especially if you didn't use a kickstart method like backcombing or twist & rip. Some people's dreads just take longer than usual to sort themselves out.

We're all our own worst critics. I think most dreadheads reach a stage where they look at their hair and think, there's NO way this unholy mess is ever gonna settle down and look like all those amazing dreads I see on other people. But it DOES happen, believe me. You've come this far... you just have a little bit further to go, it would be a shame to give up now. :-) Have faith in the process.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea everyone went through that phase but really without pictures theres no way to give any further advice then hanfg in there it gets better

cause how aere we to know if there is indeed anything needingattention without seeing ewhats really going on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

Just a suggestion on the pics, are you comfortable just posting pics of the back, close up so all we can see is hair? If not, that is fine because that is your choice. :)

I'm not that far into my journey, but there have already been days where I've wondered what the hell is going on on top of my head?! Sure enough they change constantly and I am confident this hair will be beautifully dreaded before I know it, although it is a complete mess now. :P

Since yours haven'tfully maturedyet, and you've come so far already, it would be a shame to give up now, don't you want to see what's to come?

Keep your head up, I'm sure your patience will pay off!

Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts

Ok. What are you washing with first of all? I would reccomend a baking soda/sea salt mix and then an ACV rinse, followed with as cold of water you can stand to close your scalp pores and to close the cuticles. Next, I would put a wool sweater on your pillow. I don't really think they can progress any faster than that...at least in my experience. Ever since I put all these elements together my hair has been matting more than usual.

Like you, my dreads have formed in the front first and the rest is sorta matted, but only looks like baby dreads, or loose mats, aside from a few dreads on the sides/back. Idk, at almost 7 months, they're still a bit young so I wouldn't lose hope. If they are getting the proper care, they should be on their way.

Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
Yeah, cold water is a must. I find that my locks form from the tip or towards the end, not the root...Backcombed was a different story, though.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form