Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dry little dreadies

Juniper Howe
@juniper-howe
13 years ago
10 posts

My dreads are around 4 months old. I started them with crochet(please no comments about this.It was the right method for me and has been wonderful.)I do nothing besides wash every few days.That's it.I live in a very dry climate and my hair feels very dry too.What should I use to moisturize them a bit?I spritz them with water and essential oils.They still feel too dry.I use emu oil on my face.It is sooo nice.Could I use a bit on my dreads?Maybe mix it in my spray bottle?

Blessings-Juniper

updated by @juniper-howe: 02/14/15 11:25:12AM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i noticed on your profile that you use salt of the earth soap. what is it and where do you get it? maybe its too drying for your hair (which would be perfect for mine since its too soft). acv is really conditioning. maybe try rinsing with that after you wash.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

whats emu oil and thats how crochet dreads feel..like brillo

u will have to moisturize em alot and leave em alone no more crochet ..hor months and months and months b4 they start to feel right again

jojoba oils bout the best u can get

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
oh yea if your using a salt soap they will really dry out

--
Juniper Howe
@juniper-howe
13 years ago
10 posts

Thank you for the suggestions.I don't want my dreadies to get so dry they are compromised.It has been an awful winter here!We were at -45 yesterday.I believe we were the coldest spot on the planet;)My pipes froze up mid day even with my heat on high.It was dangerously cold the past 2 days.

I order all my soap from Mama's Herbal Soaps out of Portland.Shauna is an awesome woman and her soaps are wonderful.She has dreads too and made this soap for them.In fact,all of her stuff can be used on them.Check her out.She really has some nice things.

I haven't used the Salt of the Earth soap on my hair for a long time now.I used it every other wash( maybe every 3rd wash) for a couple of months.I've been using her Patchouli or Sacred Grounds.I know that those aren't drying.I wash my hair more in the summer than now.Every 4-5 days works well for me.

I do not crochet.I only started with that.My hair never felt scratchy.It was always soft and pretty feeling.It worked really well for me.My dreads feel like they are locking up nicely.I don't think I could comb them out.I wish that you could feel them. I don't know how to describe them:)

I will try the coconut oil and acv.Thank you again.

Namaste-Juniper

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i looked up her website. all those soaps sound wonderful. a little pricey so i'll have to wait a bit but i'm definitely going to order one or two soon. thanks:)
Juniper Howe
@juniper-howe
13 years ago
10 posts

Heather-I ordered a couple of the salt/earth bars as well as a few others.I would be happy to send you a chunk( I don't use it often now that my hair has begun to lock.I use a couple of her others.)This way you could try it out to see if it was for you.It is a bit pricey but worth it.Her Sacred Grounds is to die for!I'll friend you and you can give me your address-if you want.

-Juniper

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
how wonderful! yes, please:)

Juniper Howe said:

Heather-I ordered a couple of the salt/earth bars as well as a few others.I would be happy to send you a chunk( I don't use it often now that my hair has begun to lock.I use a couple of her others.)This way you could try it out to see if it was for you.It is a bit pricey but worth it.Her Sacred Grounds is to die for!I'll friend you and you can give me your address-if you want.

-Juniper

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they do look ssofter less stiff then ypical crichetted dreads the point was the stiff scratchiness could easily be mistaken for dryness

but concidering the extreme cold u got there im sure thats gotta wreak havoc on em

i think jojoba or africas best is your best bet will penetrate better added to the vinaer rins palm rolling cocanut oil will only surface treat not get a deep down conditioning

--
Juniper Howe
@juniper-howe
13 years ago
10 posts

What about Emu Oil?I use it on my face and it isn't greasy and absorbs quickly-nice stuff.I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to my spray bottle.I lightly spritz my hair with water in the morning.It gets rid of the smooshed bed head look:)

SE-Yes this damn extreme dry cold weather is hell! The summers are the only reason I stay here.My dreads have truly never been scratchy.I know exactly what you mean though. I have seen and felt the barbed wire over done crochet thing.I only started with it and my friend who did it really was good at not fucking up and overdoing it.Anyway I'm really happy with them.I need to update my photos.They have shrunk more:( but I think they look and feel so pretty.I will be happy when they are longer.I've NEVER had short hair.I will admit I've shed a few tears over the shrinkage.lol.Sorry for babbling on.What is this Africa's Best?And where do you get it?Thank you for the info.

Blessings-Juniper

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form