Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread extensions?

Ana Adlercreutz
@ana-adlercreutz
14 years ago
4 posts
do you use them? anyone you know? do they make the dreads seem "fake." i have real dreads to my chin and extensions to my shoulders. thoughts?
updated by @ana-adlercreutz: 02/14/15 06:26:31AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I don't understand..."seem fake"...? Well, aren't they? Stick a piece of synthetic or human hair that you didn't grow into your dread and what else could it be? What do you call silicone boobs? Not trying to be rude but don't understand the purpose of the thread...are you looking for criticism?...cause you are probably gonna get it :)
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
if its a real human hair i dont see any reason why would they be fake... there s loads of loose hair in dreads anyway, if they r yours or somebodys elses makes no difference...
Ana Adlercreutz
@ana-adlercreutz
14 years ago
4 posts
uh thanks
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why are dreads so meanningful?because your hair literaly contains a chemical record of your lifes experiences all bound up into tight masses so all your experiences are connected into..well wisdomwhat purpose do extentions offer? looks only? the impression of more years of growth?and whos life experiences are you binding with yours ? (i do not know if connected hairs that are not connected to the head affect you the same way or not but if they do whos life are you connecting to?)i can understand attaching a loved oners dreads1 member attached the dreads his brother lost to cancer for instancebut ..hair u buy? whos is it? whats it doing on your head?who remembers the simpsons episode where homer gets a hair transplant..from snakethe local crominalhaving dreads affect you..having someone elses dreads could affect you in unwanred ways..theoreticly anywaysif iu was gonna attach someone elses hair theyd have to be someones hair i really cared aboutsame goes the other wayif a dread fell off (the ends og mine wear off from dragging on the ground) id only want my dread attached to someone specials head

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
i have seen people reattach a broken dread....i have seen people attach a friends cut dread to their own...and ive seen people add length to their existing dreads.if by fake you mean "Can anyone tell?"i normally cant...but the whole concept turns me off slightly.however - plenty of other people wear human hair extensions or wigs for various reasons - such as those recovering from cancer treatment - and that doesnt turn me off...so i guess, whats the difference?
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
BTW...I don't consider what i said negative...I didn't pass a judgement. I just don't understand the purpose of the thread. She has extensions already, so obviously that is what she wants to do. What am I supposed to do? Confirm that she made the right choice? I mean, it really has nothing to do with any one's opinion...it's not like she is gonna take them out if someone doesn't agree. And if she wonders if they seem "fake" and wants reassurance...why is it up to anyone to do that. If it bothers her that they seem fake, take them out. I am not trying to be mean but I just don't understand. If you go asking for criticisms you will probably find them...if you are looking for everyone to agree with you then you have to also understand that some people won't.
MomaHepp
@momahepp
14 years ago
27 posts
I agree with dreadymom. If that's what u want to do, go for it. I did mine and really like it alot. To me, it kinda gives my dreads a head start and makes them easier to manage( ex. pull back in pony tail). It was also kinda fun to do. It's nice to have the option to lengthen like that and they blend so seamlessly.

dreadymom marla said:
i think everyone has a different take on their dreads. I have mine because i love the way they look and i love how i can be creative with them, and in turn, it turned into a little journey for me. i dont exactly believe in the same opinions as soaring eagle or the other first two or three posts, basically all the negative ones. I actually just got extensions myself. i have about 10-12 inch long dreads that are mine, and I actualy fell into a set of human hair dreads that i did not have to pay big bucks for, nor did i want to make them myself, so i crocheted them in 2 days ago and they look incredible. I dont pose to be a person who has grown them longer, nor will i ever be that person. My dreads will be 1-yr old in november, and im not gonna lie about it. i also will be up front and honest with whomever asks me about my dreadlocks. i will tell them straight up that they are half mine and half human hair extensions. i love them ... and when they are long enough to about where i really wanted, then i can get the extensions out and have my original locks at the perfect length. everyone has a different opinion, and I think that is A-OKAY!!!!
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I know a few people with extensions. They used human hair, because synthetic can melt and get all nasty eventually, human hair is human hair and will dread up with your hair. The girl I know with extensions sewed them in, didn't crochet them in. She looks really good and they stayed in for a while. Sure it wont be your own hair if you decide to do it, but if you want to go ahead. There is a good tutorial on dreadlocktruth.com site.
Jamie3
@jamie3
13 years ago
3 posts

I don't mean to resurrect the dead here, but is it possible to use my own dreads as extensions? I do not know a thing about extensions and mine dreads are down to my butt. I believe that I need to change my hairstyle for the time being but I want to come back to them eventually. I would just cut them off somewhere around 4 inches from my head so I could comb the rest of the root out and still have some hair.

Later when I'm ready I'd resection my hair out when its thicker again, and once luscious locks have been established I would re attach my own 'extensions'.

There wouldn't really be anything 'un natural' as they are mine, except maybe how they are reattached.

Would that work?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form