Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Almost 6 months old!

Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
I've been playing on this site for about a week now and decided it's about time that I officially introduce myself and my dreadies! My babies will be 6 months old this month and its truly been an amazing new adventure. I had no idea how fun this life would be! I've always loved dreadlocks and the beautiful energy that people with dreads have and I've wanted to be apart of that life for a long time.About two years ago I went through some sort of psychic change and I knew I had to do something but I was confused as to what it was. That's when I cut 19 inches of hair off and donated it to locks of love. Then I had this crazy short hair that I wasn't used to and I didn't feel right in and that's when I knew what change it was I was looking for....it was time for dreadlocks. I didn't know that much about how to go about it. I didn't understand what "neglect" was and I found a website that taught about backcombing. I waited and planned and meditated on this for over 10 months. I would dream about it on a regular basis. I finally threw a "dread party"! I had my mother, sister and 3 girlfriends come and help me begin my journey. We watched movies, smoked some huka, and created my new babies. Each woman who participated was so excited to be apart of this new beginning that they all claimed a dread as their own and named them and everything!I've noticed the difference in the way people treat me. Some people love them and some people think they are "gross". My brother teases me about being dirty or full of bugs. Its been almost comical to see and hear and learn about other people's ignorance and discrimination towards dreads and the dreadlock way of life. I'm a drug addict in recovery and it's interesting to see how many people assume that if I have dreads I must do drugs. (I didn't have dreads when I WAS doing drugs! Why would they think that now?)The best thing about all of it is that for the first time I REALLY don't care what people think or believe about who and what I am. I feel more honest and more at home and just more "me" then I ever have in my whole life. I love them more and more everyday.So, I suppose I've rambled on long enough. I didn't mean to write a whole book just to introduce myself! Ha! But I do have one question for everyone else....anyone else name their dreadies? If so...what names do you have? I have a few that are named, quite generically...I have Casey, Bob, Athena, and I think my friend named hers Fred, but not sure...So I'd love to hear about the different types of personalizations that you give your dreadies! Thanks!Peace,B
updated by @heather-b: 01/13/15 08:47:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i too did alotta drugs b4 i dreaded after i dreaded i only touch weed and very rarely bnow like every few months on averagebut b4 dreading i did stupid shit dailyso i know how ya feel when ppl assume like that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh and we were hoping for pictures with the story

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
Ha! I have pics posted on my page...but here's a couple :D...

This is before cutting it all off...

This is after the cut....totally NOT me...

....and this is me now....awwwww.....home! :D
updated by @heather-b: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
nice looking dreads I just cut my hair and it does not feel right my life now feels a load more unmanigable..
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I name my dreads as they mature based on their shapes. I had a loopy louie and one I called piggy because it had a curl like a piggy tail, but they all change so fast and do something else so after a few weeks I can't really tell which one was piggy, etc. I need beads to tell them apart LOL.
Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
Awesome! Good to know I'm not the only one out there naming my hair! Ha! :D

tatyananashi said:
I name my dreads as they mature based on their shapes. I had a loopy louie and one I called piggy because it had a curl like a piggy tail, but they all change so fast and do something else so after a few weeks I can't really tell which one was piggy, etc. I need beads to tell them apart LOL.
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
that is such an excellent story of the birth of your dreads! theyre turning out really well too. welcome to the community!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form