Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread extentions or natural?

Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
Well, been reading tons of posts and replies finally decided to join! I have about 1 inch curly Afro hair, been using natural products and waiting to start my very own Locs. The thing I'm debating is wether I get extensions or wait patiently and grow natural. I would like them to be thin and run down to my shoulders. I think the most important factor of my debate is maintenance. I'm not too picky of the method, I would just prefer low maintenance (not running to a loctician every month to spend $100+). I wouldn't mind going 4 or 5 times a year, but not every month. I definitely appreciate the tight and tidy look (not too much fuss)So I guess my question is: natural or extensions and which method of locing would be best for low maintenance?Thank you all in advance.Live the journey
updated by @zen-rasta: 01/13/15 08:46:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why was this closed did u close it?well never go to s locticianu call yourself ras g so i guess your a rasta? if your a rasta theres only 1 way to dread/.natural and a neat tidy look shouldnt even be a conciderationso you should grow em out naturaly starting now and seperrate to keep em thinthats really all u need to do..evernow if your not rastas and u are african just twist em into sections then leave em beafro textured hair needs no help to dread but twisting can define the sections into tghin dreadsalsoyour hair will dread at 1 inch why waitas for extentionswellyou say you want dreads round your shouldersif u start with extentions to your shoulders they will shrink to your eatsand then grow when they reach mid back then what chop the extentions off?if u start natural dreads at 1 inch there wont be alotta shrinking and then will grow to your shoulders..but guess what..they keep growing and growing and will reach your knees somedayand the last things u will want is..fake hair attached..and to cut em shorterso just let em gro let em dreadnever go to a loctician..ever ()9they would over twist or interlock u and u will probably lose a dread)why do yu want dreads?why do u want tidyanswer those questions and u will know idf dreads are right for u or if u should stick to braids

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Hello and Welcome! I personally find extensions to be a tad creepy but that's just my own opinion. If you are wanting something low maintenance then I do suggest you go natural, there;s nothing lower maintenance than natural! If you are concerned with size than like SE suggested just twist your hair into sections and keep them separated. You will have awesome dreads in time you just need to be patient! Many Blessings
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
Not sure if I closed it and how I did that. My appologies.Well, not necessarily a rasta (it's a nickname given to me by my cousins when I visited Jamaica because I told them about my desire for Locs) but I definitely appreciate their lifestyle. 2 reasons for wanting them neat: 1) two of my cousins extensions that were cool and neat 2) most importantly, work and mother (I would like my employer and my mother to see the clean side of Locs).After reading your post I guess I don't really care how long it grows. Since I was a little boy my mother always told me my hair must be cut and neat (been getting hair cuts on a bi weekly basis for like 20 years!) and I feel it's time for a change a natural change. You're right. Why extensions? Its just instance gratification. I thought I was kinda over that. I guess I live and learn.I was considering going to a loctician because I would like to get them started in the right direction. I don't know if you've had bad experiences on a first hand or second hand basis, but it is possible to find a loctician who will not over twist and damage my hair maybe?The heck with it! I'll do it myself! Thank you all for all the input (been reading a lot of posts). SE, thank you for this site (and anyone else responsible). I've been reading the horror stories of wax (and the liars that promote them) haven't really stumbled upon the horror stories of backcombing or any other method done by a loctician...Why do I want dreads? I dunno. At first there was the aesthetic reason. Reading your post, doing some thinking... I realized that's silly. Still want them tho. I guess it's no longer so much of a reason, as it has become a feeling. I'm slowly learning to trust my feelings so I'd like to go with it... to the end, whatever it may be.Ok I'll get to the point. Would like thin dreads that look professional (work environment) yet natural (formed by my own hand). Which method would you recommend for my 1 inch Afro and what can I do to help maintain the professional look? (tams at night, wash with stocking on head, etc.). I see you mentioned twisting. Is that my best choice right now? I'm willing to wait as long as necessary if it's easier to get the results I'm looking for by starting with longer hair. Any advise, links, or videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form