Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Honey In Month Old Dreads

Sean
@sean
14 years ago
16 posts
Hey folks. I started my dread journey around the beginning of August. It's been a month now and my head seems to have divided into dreads and non-dreads. The back of my head had some great ends/tips and knots, and I'm content with giving them time. But the front of my head and hair line just doesn't lock.I spoke with a friend who's two sisters do dreadlocks for a living and have them. One suggested honey, and that I not wash for at least a week or 2 to ensure locking. I was a bit hesitant at this idea but, sure enough, went out and bought organic honey. Today is day 3 of the honey. The back dreads look awesome and are locking more. But my front ones just look like non-knotted hair with gel in them lol. AHH! I know rubberbands are a terrible idea but they did help start the knotting for my back dreads and then i cut them out. I currently have about 5-7 bands at the roots of my fronts dreads.I'm a bit weary of the progress, as well as my appearance. There's lots of salt pieces from when I was using salt spray. So on top of sticky hair, I have little salt chunks, making it look like I have lice lol. I'm posting these new pics of my dreads as this point.There's a pic in there after running my head through water. Not sure what's going on lolToss me some tips, some comments on how they look, and if I should do this that and the other thing. ty <3

updated by @sean: 02/14/15 07:50:51AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
That looks like a lot of progress for a short amount of time! I would definitely take out those tight rubber bands so you don't get weak spots at your roots and end up losing your dreads prematurely! Please do NOT put more honey in your hair! That's going to make a nasty sticky mess that may not wash out well at all. Plus it will attract everything from bugs to dirt to lint and everything else in between! That would make me crazy! Clean hair dreads best so try to wash it out. Locticians tend to give really poor advice by the way. Try the baking soda deep clean recipe. Many blessings
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Yep...you're getting good advice here. The honey is not only useless but will attract dirt and other not fun stuff to your hair. Clean hair dreads...dirty hair does not. Also, hair dreads (knots) when it is able to freely move....therefore, those rubberbands are hampering your progress and can cause very weak spots. True dreads take time to develope. What you have now is hair clumped together...it may look like dreads but it is not. Natural Womyn is right, unfortunately locticians give alot of bad advice. Wash your hair with a good residue free shampoo and use some sea salt spray...let it blow freely in the wind. Use eithier a wool tam and/or a wool sweater over your pillow. You don't realize that your hair will not only dread quicker, but will be healthier overall. Why go to all the trouble of growing dreads that will end up breaking off and being lost in the end. August...your babies are very new...treat them right!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wash all that crap out of your hair never trust anyone who does dreads for a living geezthey know how to make a living faking what nature does betterstop listening to them wash iit alll out stop putting anything in your hair no bands no junk just keep em clean thats it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
btw stay away from the woods a couple who put honey in theyre dreads was killed by a bear..stupid idea all the way rouind

--
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Really??? Holy crap! soaringeagle said:
btw stay away from the woods a couple who put honey in theyre dreads was killed by a bear..

stupid idea all the way rouind
Emily Smith
@emily-smith
14 years ago
31 posts
It looks like everything is going well. I started mine naturally and they are almost 3 months old. the back of my head knotted up much quicker then the front. I still have parts in this front that are just starting to knot. It just takes time. Be patient! I would wash it at least 3 times a week. Also there is no need for rubber bands. As for the salt flecks in your hair, it may help if you put the salt in really hot water cause it will cause the salt to dissolve. Just be patient and let your hair do what it wants. If you continue to have sections that don't want to dread naturally I suggest you t&r them to at least give them a little help.Good luck!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why dio they look soooo skinny and pulled so tight?u gotta get those rubber bands and that sticky honety out..thenm leave them alonethats allthey liook like microbraids but sticky tight microbraids that sticky thinness needs to loosen up alot go wild and get knotty to dreadthe honey and rubber bands are stopping dreading from happening just making them sticky and thinthe honey..washing it out..might undo a week or 2 of progressits unfortunate but your attempt at rushing nature has undine 1/2 your progressfrom now on anytime anyone suggests u do something especialy if its a salon ..ask us 1st..

--
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Hi Jane,Just checked out your dp because you said your dreads were a month old. They look pretty solid, did you twist and rip or backcomb? Jade said:
Yeah...bears...hope your not a backpacker. :0) My locs are also about a month old and I personally want them to be less maintenance than my straight hair was. So, I'm not putting anything in them that I normally would have put. I just wash it a couple times a week and pull it apart. Right after my shower I palm roll a bit to squeeze out extra water.
Sean
@sean
14 years ago
16 posts
Hey all,I washed out the honey with lots of shampoo and let it dry and it look a million times better! lol. I was just impatient. I've been that way since I started. One of my front pieces are braided for fun to see how it goes. I'm just nervous because the back has so much progress and the front looks like I haven't done anything to it. But I appreciate everyone's help! I knew I should of just left it alone and you're alllllllll right lol.Another quickie...I'm using neutrogena residue-free shampoo. It's all I could find. What would you recommend other than Dr.B's? I can't find that in a store around here, and I'm on a tight budget. Also... is dry shampoo a spray? Is dry shampoo worth it? TYTY~ Namate =)
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form