Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread-flap in combination with biscuit

Hayley Turner
@hayley-turner
15 years ago
49 posts
A friend of mine has dreads which he has let develop naturally, partially normal hair, partially braids and partially dreads. He isn't the type of person to pay much attention to the things so now they have unfortunately developed into one massive dread flap at the back of his head, the whole thing is about 15cm wide and can be lifted so that you can find his neck... The matted mass of hair also seems to be filled with what we could only describe as biscuit. Me and a friend have made some attempt to tear and separate them but it seems impossible as he's let them develop like this for nearly a year now. It pleases me that he has one braid protruding from the flap to half way down his back, but this is beside the point. Does anyone have any practical advice for separating them? It would be much appreciated, although I'm sure the flap serves as a great pillow I'm pretty sure he will get sick of it sooner or later.
updated by @hayley-turner: 01/13/15 08:25:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dunno what ya mean my bisquite.. dirt grimemy 1st set i had that same pillow flap in back and 2 horns ontopi loved em but glad i dont got em now ..i would have to see how far its prigressed i havent ripped mine in a year but at most only had 6 combine into 1 and none over an inchif hes got 1 flap the width of his neck (dont speak cm so guessing) and its completely matted a few inches from scalp or more then well theres not a whole lot that can be done except maybe surgicaly seperating..by that i dont mean slicing down the dread to the scalp hbut carefully clipping a few hairs at a time till u get seperate dreadsif its not getting moldy, or causing pain he should leave it alone and be carefull to keep seperating the rest

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hayley Turner
@hayley-turner
15 years ago
49 posts
Yeah, the flap itself is about twice the width of his neck and at a guess I'd say at least 12 dreads are involved. It does look as though he wouldn't be able to do anything about it, I suspect that he would be happy enough leaving it as it is! Thanks anyway!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
if its like the 1st 2 theyree just massive congosthey require extra care in drying to prevent mold and can cause pain idf they overgrowif its like the 4rd..weellas much as im against cutting hair..i dunno if i could live with that

--
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
Can you begin to decifer at all which dreads are where at the roots? Like would you be able to cut the dreads apart? Or separate the congo into 6 smaller congos? I dont have any experience with this, but just tossing this out there.. What do you think SE?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
simply slicing through it can do massive internaml dammage a more surgical approach would be neededandyea try to follow where the individial dreads should beuse tiny scissors or nail clippers and snip only as few hairs at a time..maybe use like a thin knitting needle to try prying them out as much as u can and snip when they wont come feee..but u wanna do only a small number of hairs each snip so the dammage is mostly external not structural as much as possible anyway

--
Hayley Turner
@hayley-turner
15 years ago
49 posts
I'm going to have to conduct a further investigation of his hair then get back to you! Thanks for all your help.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
sneak some detailed pics

--
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
14 years ago
67 posts
Great pillow.