Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What Color to Dye my Dreads and How to Dye Them??

Seagram Kern
@seagram-kern
14 years ago
6 posts
I want to add color to my hair. I've always wanted color in my hair ever since I was 6 or 7. I feel know is a good time. I have dark brown hair. If I want any color to show I will need to bleach my hair first. I would like a mix of warm colors. Any suggestions?
updated by @seagram-kern: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Che
@che
14 years ago
8 posts
Maybe deep reds and lighter browns,, that would look real nice... I have a friend though, who bleached some of his dreads, also to dey them, and they just broke off... So maybe you should check for something more sensitive or less chemical to make your hair lighter with...
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Bleaching your hair is really damaging, man. You might want to try other alternatives. Ricky knows a lot about dying dreads and so does Sister Rags. Get some info from them before taking the plunge. But for colors...I would go with red or blue. Those are the best in african hair in my opinion, they show up well and look good in it. Oh but the golden brown tips are awesome in dark hair like yours. Makes em look amazing, you could do that with just lemon juice and some sun. You might wanna try that out.
Seagram Kern
@seagram-kern
14 years ago
6 posts
i don't think my hair will take any color unless I bleach it first. I've tried a punk semi permanent dye without bleach. Did nothing but stain my shower floor and a lot of my lighter clothing.
Seagram Kern
@seagram-kern
14 years ago
6 posts
so if i do get bleach what should I do to prevent my dreads from falling out? Melanie Leontine said:
I am always playing with the color of my dreads (I keep the very top blond).

If you want any outrageous colors like hot pink or bright blue you will have to bleach the hair first. A good natural one is a clay bleach by a company called Herbe. It is a hair salon product so you will have to have it professionally applied.

Bleaching will weaken your dreadlocks, it is unavoidable. Having said that I have been bleaching mine for about 9 years and I have managed to keep them in great condition.

If you do not want to bleach but want outstanding color then PPS Full Throttle reds are amazing. They are SUPER bright and come in about 10 different shades of red/orange.

A very natural, healthy option of coloring dreads is to use Henna colors that not only look fabulous but are actually very good for your hair with earthy tones and long lasting color.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Yes, you would need to pre-lighten dark hair to accept any other colors to make them show up. Bleach is extremely damaging to any hair, but if you are African American your hair is already prone to breakage. You should never attempt to bleach your hair by yourself...I would definitely suggest a professional. A problem that is unique to dreads is that bleached hair needs to be trimmed regularly to prevent breakage and dreads are not trimmed. Also, dreads can retain the bleach if not rinsed very, very thoroughly. You also have to realize that depending on your length of hair dreads put stress on the scalp and hair strands by being heavy...and that can also lead to breakage. I would strongly suggest that you not only see a professional, but perhaps not bleach all of your hair...instead, maybe do a few dreads and use a couple of different colors that contrast. You will have to re-touch your roots as well, so this can be a costly situation. Also,consider whatever color you want to put over the bleach carefully before you choose...you will be stuck with it for awhile. I also wouldn't suggest lemon juice to lighten your hair as it is very drying and will not be strong enough to give you significant lightening. Please don't be fooled by products like Sun In either...it suggests that you can lighten without damage...which is not true.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Where did you hear this? Because it isn't true. Olive oil can moisturize hair and scalp and even skin, but dreads that break need reconsruction, not just moisture. Dreads breaking is an elasticity problem and the molecules present in olive oil are too large to penetrate the hair shaft and add any strength to prevent breakage. As for dyeing, if you put olive oil onyour hairimmediately after fresh color you can strip out your color. What you are suggesting is just someone's idea of a solution and unfortunately, it isn't a good one :(

jameela bailey said:
i think everyone needs to know this, that when you dye dreads, you HAVE to put olive oil in them after you bleach or dye it, or your dreads will fall out
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

You frying something good PJ...I'm hungry...give me some!!! LOL

Personal Jesus MD said:

:P i rather just use it to fry things
Ann Robison
@ann-robison
13 years ago
2 posts
I went to the salon and got some of my dreds bleached and then dyed a nice raspberry color...one thing my hairdresser did was not bleach all the way up to the roots so that when I touch them up I wont be twisting on weak bleached hair...second she did notsqueeze the bleach into my hair but just painted the outside and then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed... now that the color has set some I use an mixture of olive oil and water in a spray bottle tomoisturize daily...if you are going to get your hairbleachedgo to a professional please!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

she didbnt want the roots weakened because twisting weakens the roots making them break!

just dont twist them no more

problem solved

oh yea stop going to salons!

Ann Robison said:

I went to the salon and got some of my dreds bleached and then dyed a nice raspberry color...one thing my hairdresser did was not bleach all the way up to the roots so that when I touch them up I wont be twisting on weak bleached hair...second she did notsqueeze the bleach into my hair but just painted the outside and then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed... now that the color has set some I use an mixture of olive oil and water in a spray bottle tomoisturize daily...if you are going to get your hairbleachedgo to a professional please!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form