Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dish soap.

Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
I'm going to try washing my hair with dish soap (because after 3 months I have tried everything on here- bronners, baking soda, thyme rinse, natural bar soaps etc... even stretching my washing schedule out, and my hair is still oily. Always has been... I think its just what I'm prone to)My question: People have been recommending Dawn, but does the brand really matter? I like to do my dishes with natural dish soap, so wouldn't want to buy a huge bottle of Dawn just for my hair.Also, I'm assuming I want to dilute it, right? full on dish soap to the scalp sounds a bit gnarly.thanks!
updated by @bird: 02/03/18 12:44:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theres an ad for natural dish soap right over there as i type this--->but dawns recommended for wax removal because its great at cutting grease and emulsifying waxfor just removing oiliness natural should be fine i think

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
damn. I just went and picked up some seventh generation dishsoap, got home and looked at the ingredients list..... second one is SLS. Eff me.I also picked up a bronners tea tree bar, since I haven't tried the bars yet, so I'm going to try that out.And Lisa, the hand made bars I've been using are the ones made by mayleesgarden.... I love the way they smell, and I think that if I was more prone to dandruff/dryness they'd be wonderful, but they leave me oily :( i LOOOOOVE her laundry soap though.
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
If you use any type of dishsoap, I would say Dawn too. I dont have ANY experience washing hair with dishsoap, but Ive been using Dawn (Original NOT Ultra!) on my babies cloth diapers for years. The reason? Original Dawn is the only soap Ive found that leaves zero residue on the diapers. None. The smell like plain old spring water when they come out of the wash. I have no stains and no stinks. lol. I would think if it cleans cloth diapers that well, then it wouldnt leave a residue on hair either. Just my opinion of course. But remember, ORIGINAL Dawn, NOT Ultra. If you try it that is. :)
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I've used dawn on my hair before, but it was before I had dreads, I remember being warned by the adults around me at the time that dish soap will dry out my hair, so it sounds like an ok idea. I've heard others people on the site discussing it too, can't find a thread, but I remember that a few of them swore by it.I think diluting it is a good idea, just to ensure that you don't over power your hair with chemicals, and I think I'd leave the Dawn and get a natural dish soap to try first.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Most dish soap will have SLS in it... it's what makes it so effective as a de-greaser/wax remover. I haven't checked into it, but I imagine that you'll be hard pressed to find any dish soap that doesn't have SLS in it. Bird said:
damn. I just went and picked up some seventh generation dishsoap, got home and looked at the ingredients list..... second one is SLS. Eff me.

I also picked up a bronners tea tree bar, since I haven't tried the bars yet, so I'm going to try that out.

And Lisa, the hand made bars I've been using are the ones made by mayleesgarden.... I love the way they smell, and I think that if I was more prone to dandruff/dryness they'd be wonderful, but they leave me oily :( i LOOOOOVE her laundry soap though.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Have you used peppermint oil?I have major scalp issues too and its the only thing that works for me. I use a soap too sometimes but now mostly just baking soda/water and peppermint oil.Its like a miracle on my scalp in my 33 years I don't remember it being so non flaky/caky/oily/dry (used to be like that all at once)Keep in mind there is a transition period when you go chem free on your head.It kinda spazzes out and seems to get worse before better as the hair and scalp detox from the chems and adjust to being natural.Oh and that 7th Generation soap is NO green soap thats for sure.I am pissed they push such a wholesome and naturally green line and persona but really its worse than some non green products.
Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
Yeah, I think pretty much all dish soaps have sls... dawn has it too. So pretty much scratch that idea.As for 7th generation, I am disappointed. I picked it up because it was on sale and the store was closing in 10 minutes. Had I the time to look around and read labels, i would have chosen differently.And as for peppermint, that was the kind of Dr. Bronners i was using. For each of the methods, I gave them each at least a month to let my scalp adjust and nothing seems to work.
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
I used Dawn dishsoap once, I forget why I guess I thought it might help. It did a little, but I dilluted it and rinsed for 30-40 minutes= alot of water. I still felt soap inside my dreads and they kind of had a weird smell to them. after that I think I just rinsed my hair the next 3 times and then did a AppleCidarVinegar rinse.How often do you wash your hair?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form