Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Oily Scalps

Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
So a post from Kath in a thread I was reading earlier made me think of this, and I love sharing little nuggets of knowledge. This is a good way to explain to people why you don't have to wash your hair as often with dreads, but why you must still wash.With loose (undreaded) hair, your scalp is under constant attack from dust and dirt debris. Running your fingers through your hair, combing, and the wind blowing through your hair causes this debris to cling to your scalp and clog the pores. Thus your scalp begins producing more oil to push the debris from your pores. Just like you face does when you're a teen. Which results in greasy hair that needs washed (in general) about every other day at least.However, with dreaded hair, your scalp isn't subjected to the same amount of debris. The knots of hair prevent debris from reaching your scalp, and obviously, not being able to run your fingers through it or it blowing as freely in the wind as the same effect.Thus, your scalp produces less oil because there are fewer pores needing unclogged. Thus your hair does not need to be washed as often, but as we all know, it must still be washed, as oily hair lubricates and prevents the hair from dreading.So in short, when you get the "Do you wash them", the "You're not supposed to wash them", or the "Ew, dreads are dirty" you can now leave them speechless with your astounding knowledge!!!
updated by @alden: 01/13/15 08:25:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
actualyfrom my understanding oils are good for hair health\washing daily strips away all oilss so your scalp produces alot more to make up for itas u reduce your washing to a week your scalp produces less oilsalso, thyme can be used to regulate oil production as well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
Oh, yeah, oil is important, you don't want to not have any, but the debris from the world is an outside stimulant that encourages excessive oil production. Everyones scalp will and should always produce a healthy amount of oil, it's when you get too much oil production that it becomes nasty and ew. lol
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
and what is that you recommend for oily scalps SE? Isn't it a spray of Sea Salt Water and Thyme? I can't remember were I read that at, I've been looking for it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
well seasalt does dry out hair making it knot easilybut thyme helps to regulate oil production so does slowly washing lessif your oily, go 1 day longer each time till yoiur near a weekin between washes make a very strong thyme tea (simmer like a cup of thyme in a few cups water 20 minutes so its real strong) putt that in a spray bottle and spray it on between washings leaving it on

--
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
yup. as my post (that alden is talking about) stated that i had to wash my hair every couple of days, since dreading, i can now go a week in summer or up to 2 weeks in winter. Still try to do it about once a week though. soaringeagle said:
well seasalt does dry out hair making it knot easily
but thyme helps to regulate oil production so does slowly washing less

if your oily, go 1 day longer each time till yoiur near a week
in between washes make a very strong thyme tea (simmer like a cup of thyme in a few cups water 20 minutes so its real strong) putt that in a spray bottle and spray it on between washings leaving it on
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
*left speechless*
Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
Hey SE,I just purchased some fresh thyme and plan on making this thyme tea to spray on my head, but i have a couple of questions:-how much should i spray on? should my hair be damp?- if i am making three cups of it, i won't be able to use it all in one go, so will it keep over a couple of weeks, or will it go bad?-am i supposed to rinse it out after a couple of hours like a salt spray, or can i just leave it in?Thanks! Finally got my hair all twist/ripped up, so now the fun waiting game begins. soaringeagle said:

in between washes make a very strong thyme tea (simmer like a cup of thyme in a few cups water 20 minutes so its real strong) putt that in a spray bottle and spray it on between washings leaving it on
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can put in a spray bottle if your worried biyt it gioung bad refridgerate it ive left it unrefridgerated for a lo9ng time and it left a dark stain on the bottle but still seemed ok to usespray on just the scalp till damp let dry in no need to rincfe ..leave it on between washes Bird said:
Hey SE,
I just purchased some fresh thyme and plan on making this thyme tea to spray on my head, but i have a couple of questions:

-how much should i spray on? should my hair be damp?
- if i am making three cups of it, i won't be able to use it all in one go, so will it keep over a couple of weeks, or will it go bad?
-am i supposed to rinse it out after a couple of hours like a salt spray, or can i just leave it in?

Thanks! Finally got my hair all twist/ripped up, so now the fun waiting game begins.

soaringeagle said:

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form