Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

No love for Bob?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
I'm not sure if it's a universal thing or just in my experience but I've always found that any reggae 'connosuiers' that I've spoken to seem to be ashamed/deny that they're into or used to be into Bob Marley and like I've only been listening to reggae for 3 or 4 years but I can't see why this is. The only thing I can think of is to make themselves seem like 'true'reggae fans and not just stereotypical 'Job Marley Fans'. Anyone elseexperienced ?
updated by @jayke-watson: 04/18/18 10:12:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm no never came across that i have met some that arent into the whole roots style and only like the dancehall type but never met any that didnt give bob respect he desserved

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Jaymes Robinson
@adam-jaymes-robinson
11 years ago
19 posts
My only idea would be that Robert Nesta has become some sort of obnoxious novelty.. A symbol of ganja smoke and shallow counter-culture similar to how a flag represents a nation, political stance, etc.. Unfortunately his estate not only accepts and nurtures it, they capitalize it. People seem forget his revolutionary ideals and unrelenting activism choosing instead to commemorate his tireless efforts in motivating people to get up and stand up by stamping his face on t-shirts surrounded by ganja leaves or bongs. Bob embraced a solemnly militant philosophy and now his name is synonymous with smoking weed; not rebellion against an oppressive oligarchic power structure. It's repulsive really but thankfully his music will never, ever die and as long as there are people receiving the message there will be discontent that transcends anything superficial like merchandising resistance. The revolution WILL be televised: God bless capitalism. Peace!
Michelle Bueno
@michelle-bueno
11 years ago
8 posts
Honestly I recently have delved deep into the reggae scene and Personally I love it, everything about it. The background, the message, the beat everything. I think the reason most people would be ashamed would be because unfortunately reggae is associated with marijuana and most people are still In that "reefer madness" stage and don't want to be judged for smoking a little pot. Personally I say do whatever makes you happy and don't worry about what anybody thinks of you or your decisions because at the end of the day you're the one that has to live with your self.
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I enjoy Bob Marley's music and am definitely not ashamed to say so. However...he's not my favorite, I guess? My reggae/ska playlist is several gigs long, haha. I'm all about variety when it comes to music.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

I know that but I'm saying it seems like people want to act like they're too cool for bob marley because all of the posers love him or something.

Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
6 years ago
27 posts
I guess he’s just not my kind of sound. I really like stuff like Black Uhuru to Eek-A-Mouse to Carleton to SOJA and most of the in between. I just don’t typically listen to Bob Marley. I like Stephen, ziggy and especially Damian though. I guess it’s just a matter of preference.
Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
6 years ago
27 posts
*Capelton not Carleton. Haha.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form