Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread ignorance

Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
My dreads are pretty new, I used the twist and rip method (only one for my type of hair that worked) and I ended up redoing almost every one last Sunday, so they're anywhere from 3 weeks to almost a week.While I try not to pay attention to other people's comments, sometimes it's just really hard (extremely hard in highschool, while all anyone wants to do is persecute for anything different) . Most people don't seem to understand that it's going to take a LONG time for my dreads to legitimately dread. I wouldn't take out my dreads because I'm loving them, I'm loving the journey, and, for me, it's very spiritual. It just really gets me down when people compare my new dreads to fully mature dreads.I guess what I'm kind of asking is, anyone else experience anything similar?In case anyone was wondering, in advance, I'm 17 and a junior:-). And yes, I'm posting from class:-P
updated by @rebecca-halpryn: 02/14/15 07:30:36AM
Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
3 years ago
101 posts

ya ...totally normal ....just explain it to them ...in a nice way ...good luck and happy dreading

Joey5
@joey5
3 years ago
83 posts
No one could understand my journey at first. Everyone was like "your dreads are falling out" or "you should get them fixed". I tried to explain but mostly just ignored the comments. It is now that maturing that they can understand. Most are in awe of how my hair did this all alone! Just takes patience
Erica Marie
@erica-marie
3 years ago
3 posts
My father just broke down the other night and told me I look like a homeless person. Fr the most part my parents and my in laws are TRYING to be supportive (by supportive I mean trying to ignore my hair and cracking minimal jokes.) my worst critics are usually people who wouldn't get it anyway- some friends mothers etc...) I just told them it's a commitment, a public one. And the journey is messy, but like most important things in life- it's worth it in the end. I've got a few years on you so my situation is slightly different but I try to say something or make a comparison that draws the attention away. Ex: 1- i just had two babies, those first ultrasounds were more alienesque than cute and cuddly, but 9 months in the oven and they came out pretty awesome!! 2- I've donated my hair three times so far, if I wind up hating em- I know for damn sure I can rock a short haircut ;) Stay true to you. Realize you probably look a little funny it's natural for people to say stupid things- ask anyone who has any type of visible or audible disability. Enjoy your journey, maybe journal your experiences and keep on truckin!
Kelly3
@kelly3
3 years ago
337 posts

If you had to redo them, and they stuck that time, I'm going to guess that you may have done them too tight. They are supposed to fall out and redread by themselves. They should not be TOO tight, and when you redo them you set yourself back to square one. Just let them be.

As for opinions from schoolmates, this is something that you will have to learn to live with. I got it every single day while I was in school. It makes you stronger though. You learn not to care what they think.

One tip I will give, listen in class. School is for learning, not surfing the web. Don't waste your time and actually listen to the teacher while your there. Before you know it, school will be over and you might just regret not paying attention. I know I did.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,402 posts

tfor me schoolwas a good time for a nap and when awake yea getting harrassed

kids in school are ignorant the smart ones the dumnb ones all of them for the most part

they tease eachother to death (sometimes literaly)

just dont let it affect you

dreads are your sheild..they protect u from the harmfulll affects of negativity

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
I should probably pay attention more, but...What are the effects of them being too tight? Because the first time, the vast majority of them completely fell out.Also, I have yet to wash my hair, and I think that will contribute to the whole tightness factor.
Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
Dreads are my shield....I like that!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,402 posts

wash your hair and its ok if they fall out too tight and they take lot longer to dread they need to loosen look at crochet dreads thay are started way too tight so theres no dreading at all 1st 6 months

Rebecca halpryn said:

I should probably pay attention more, but...
What are the effects of them being too tight? Because the first time, the vast majority of them completely fell out.
Also, I have yet to wash my hair, and I think that will contribute to the whole tightness factor.

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
I plan on washing my hair in two days, and alright:-). I'm just gonna let them chill and do whatever; I just didn't like the look of my dreads falling out and stuff. It more or less looked like loose braids (they weren't braided).
 / 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus