Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

New Locks

Zara 'Babu' Binns
@zara-babu-binns
3 years ago
11 posts

Hi guys, i'm new to this (to the site and to dreadlocking) I've had my dreads for about 3 weeks now, my hair is quite thin but they seem to be doing OK, i just have a question on maintenance. I didnt quite manage to get them to lock all the way down to the root, do i have to do anything when they grow? How do they lock at the roots while growing? And when is it OK to wash with shampoo? I was thinking of getting the Lush Seanik bar. Thanks for any help you can give me, would be much appreciated x


updated by @zara-babu-binns: 01/13/15 09:45:40PM
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
3 years ago
101 posts
Lot to answer here, u dont actually have locks yet, takes years, not weeks for them to reach maturity. Idk what method u used, but if u want ur hair to recover, id suggest leaving them be. Dreads never quite lock at the roots, with the length n weight of the lock, the root generaly stays unlocked and twice as thick as the dread. As far as washing, you shouldbe doing it 2-3 times a week with a non residue shampoo(idk if that lush bar is) i use n recommend any bar or liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com. Dont wait any longer to wash, dirty hair builds up oil n debris n will take forever to lock, n when it does, itll stink. If wax was used on u u need to get it off asap, that shit traps dirt n moisture which creates dread rot, not a good thing. Its still early, n u can still save ur hair, ur not the only one that fell for the jnstant dread look, i did as well n removed the wax n went neglect ever since. At the end of tge day youll do what u want, but ask urself if tge health of ur hair is worth the "look" of dreads, cuz as i said, 3weeks is a drop of water in the bucket, dreads wont form n mature for 1-2 years. Good luck, bless.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,416 posts

take all rubber bands out right away

the roots will take care of themselves never do nothing to th4e roots

some lush shampoos are ok others arent the best is www.dreadlockshampoo.com

or u can use the baking soda recipe




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Zara 'Babu' Binns
@zara-babu-binns
3 years ago
11 posts


Supa Dread said:

Lot to answer here, u dont actually have locks yet, takes years, not weeks for them to reach maturity. Idk what method u used, but if u want ur hair to recover, id suggest leaving them be. Dreads never quite lock at the roots, with the length n weight of the lock, the root generaly stays unlocked and twice as thick as the dread. As far as washing, you shouldbe doing it 2-3 times a week with a non residue shampoo(idk if that lush bar is) i use n recommend any bar or liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com. Dont wait any longer to wash, dirty hair builds up oil n debris n will take forever to lock, n when it does, itll stink. If wax was used on u u need to get it off asap, that shit traps dirt n moisture which creates dread rot, not a good thing. Its still early, n u can still save ur hair, ur not the only one that fell for the jnstant dread look, i did as well n removed the wax n went neglect ever since. At the end of tge day youll do what u want, but ask urself if tge health of ur hair is worth the "look" of dreads, cuz as i said, 3weeks is a drop of water in the bucket, dreads wont form n mature for 1-2 years. Good luck, bless.
Thanks Supa Dread, i didnt use any wax or any other products and used the twist n rip method, i have been washing with just warm water finishing off with a blast of cold, i will check out the shampoos on the site you recommended. Thankyou for your advice :)
Zara 'Babu' Binns
@zara-babu-binns
3 years ago
11 posts

Thankyou Soaring eagle, I did take the bands out almost straight away :) and i will look into the shampoos, thanks for answering and for the help

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,416 posts

rinsing isnt washing u gotta wash to be clean




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,416 posts

good then your off to a great start

Zara 'Babu' Binns said:

Thankyou Soaring eagle, I did take the bands out almost straight away :) and i will look into the shampoos, thanks for answering and for the help




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
3 years ago
122 posts
My hair is about half dreaded, half loose. On my dreaded ones, most of my roots are locked almost completely to the scalp--I can maybe fit a finger through. I haven't done any maintenance other than separating. Shampoo will depend on your hair type, water type, and personal preference. I just bought Lush Seanik and I like it, but it seems a tiny bit too conditioning for me to use all the time. Maybe once a month. I've tried bronners and bs/ACV, but my favorite has been trader joes tea tree tingle shampoo and an ACV rinse. *shrug* so you may want to try a few and see what works for you.
Zara 'Babu' Binns
@zara-babu-binns
3 years ago
11 posts

Thanks for the advice, i ended up getting Bronners just because the postage to France was way cheaper than Lush or from dreadlockshampoo.com :)

Kelsey Cliche! said:

My hair is about half dreaded, half loose. On my dreaded ones, most of my roots are locked almost completely to the scalp--I can maybe fit a finger through. I haven't done any maintenance other than separating. Shampoo will depend on your hair type, water type, and personal preference. I just bought Lush Seanik and I like it, but it seems a tiny bit too conditioning for me to use all the time. Maybe once a month. I've tried bronners and bs/ACV, but my favorite has been trader joes tea tree tingle shampoo and an ACV rinse. *shrug* so you may want to try a few and see what works for you.
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus