Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Finally got a LATHE!!!!

Heatherfish
@heatherfish
last year
36 posts

Sooooo.... for quite a while now, I have been mulling over whether I wanted to get a mini lathe or not. Mostly it was because I was afraid that the items I made would no longer be considered "hand made"... But after a lot of thought and consideration to my rapidly growing carpel tunnel problem, I decided that not only would items on a lathe still be hand made because of the skill it takes to properly turn something, but it would save my poor hands so that I am not completely unable to carve. I'm really looking forward to making some bone, clay, horn, and wood beads and gauges.

Do any of you have experience turning beads? Do any of you have a certain type of chisel you prefer? I just got my micro chisels in today and am waiting on a chuck... then it is game on. I'm excited to say the least... the photo doesn't even begin to express it...hahaha

updated by @heatherfish: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
last year
27,421 posts

haha i always liked using a dremel myself

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Heatherfish
@heatherfish
last year
36 posts

Indeed! Dremels are quite useful for cutting down large amounts of material... I actually used to use a dremel for everything including detail work... now I use a dremel paired with a micro motor and hand chisels...

soaring eagle said:

haha i always liked using a dremel myself

Cracker
@cracker
last year
15 posts

Congrats! Im a woodworker myself. I do turn projects from time to time. I have a 4 foot lathe as well as a mini. My best advice to you is just start playing around and you will catch on quickly. Each chisel serves its purpose, none better than the other. My main advice is safety. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Hope I can help.

taye
@taye
last year
836 posts

I look forward to seeing your new creations! I sew. I use a sewing machine and I finally got a serger. I consider my work hand made even though I use a machine. A lathe is a tool just like a sewing machine. You are still creating by hand. Unless you plan on opening a factory where every piece is identical....I don't thunk you need to worry about it!

Heatherfish
@heatherfish
last year
36 posts

Thank you very much! Good to know there is another turner on here. I would love to see some of your creations! :)

Cracker said:

Congrats! Im a woodworker myself. I do turn projects from time to time. I have a 4 foot lathe as well as a mini. My best advice to you is just start playing around and you will catch on quickly. Each chisel serves its purpose, none better than the other. My main advice is safety. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Hope I can help.

Heatherfish
@heatherfish
last year
36 posts

Indeed... I have mulled over that for quite a while and came to the same conclusion... trying to do something by hand that would take 10 minutes on a lathe takes time out from the detail I could be adding..

taye said:

I look forward to seeing your new creations! I sew. I use a sewing machine and I finally got a serger. I consider my work hand made even though I use a machine. A lathe is a tool just like a sewing machine. You are still creating by hand. Unless you plan on opening a factory where every piece is identical....I don't thunk you need to worry about it!

Heatherfish
@heatherfish
last year
36 posts

Well... turned my first bead out of 2x4 scrap... not bad for my first one. I just did a 6 second seal since it is scrap. It really isn't hard at all to turn wood. I'm thinking about doing some with inlays as well... oh boy this will be fun! Next I will turn some horn, polymer, clay, and bone and see how that goes... fun fun fun :)

updated by @heatherfish: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus