dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Required Length For Beardlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

Raven's Light:

Thanks for the words of encouragement SE....now I'm wishing more and more I had just let my sides grow instead of trimming them off for the interview (and in some small way conforming to society). 

best job i ever had  i went to the interview (in an IT office) with my dreads in a tam and beard tucked inside my shirt

started work a few days later and on day 1 not 3 hours into the 1st day i said screw it took of the tam the dreads spilled out to the ground (almost was a number of years back) just as the president of the company walks by..stops and just says "wow"

that was the only thing any employee ever said about them. but i had meetings all the time with politicians (like the 1st head of homeland security) finance leaders, ceos of multi miliion multi national orgs . deans of universities etc none said anything unless it was 'i love your hair, can i touch them)"

when i left the company it was time for them to make new corporate image promo materials, i was front center and above everyone else  kinda the most prominent position  this was used in calendars posters, mugs etc

we were a layed back office  i could work from home when i had no meetings with the exuse my home pc was faster

the receptionist had big crystals through her gauged ears

the head of billing worked barefoot  and  would put her  bare feet up on the table during meetings

i think only the president ever wore a tie or anything you'd normally consider office appropriate

we operated out of a large science center that had like 30-40 diferent companies and orgs some like the japan institute were ..well you know how conservative and traditional japan can be . but  every 1 of the offices in the building used me for tech support  so i spent time in every 1 of the offices working with everyone in the building..

dreads and beard were never any issue with anyone

oh yea we ware also  partnered with the local pbs station so i was often in their studios ..doing tech support for them

dreads and beard never factored into anything ever

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Ok, that makes me feel pretty good then, thanks! I guess it all just boils down to confidence and background.

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

confidence is what you make it! do what what you want. Do not let others be your judge!

updated by @acidburn: 11/05/16 05:45:15PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i always say go into an interview as if your interviewing them to decide if you even want the job. go in as if your not even aware you have dreads  cause if your thinking i wonder if he or she is ging to mind my dreads then they will pick up on that

if they dare to mention them besides in a compliment just oook confused  like you don't know why they would care about such things then just say i tought title IX  was soused to prevent these type discriminatory questions

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

The last time I cut my beard was 3 days ago, I'm now letting the sides grow back cause I really desire a long full beard....although I'm only 26, so I wonder if I can even grow a dense beard yet. ...and I mean the sides only have 3 days of growth on them, I use a beard trimmer, not a manual razor so when it was trimmed it was more stubble than just bare skin, so I really hope it grows out in a short time. ...I haven't actually combed my beard in a while either, sort of letting it do its own thing. I thought about it, and SE you're right, I'm not gonna let the lack of length on the sides bug me, I'm just gonna let it be and grow...I mean yeah it'll take a while to catch up to the rest of the beard if it ever actually does, but that will give me time to adjust to how it will look for the sides to have a bit of growth on them. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this growing regardless of going on job interviews.

acidburn
@acidburn
8 years ago
96 posts

I stopped shaving/trimming 3years ago. I had the same hopes for a full thick beard. It's still patchy but I grown to accept it as my own. Btw my cheek hairs never grow past 1" my moustache never grows past my lip jawline/side grows about 2" chin is about 3/3.5" but has random hairs over   12". 

Beards are all about genetics some are blessed others get less. Best of luck to you. And my advice is to appreciate what you do have not what you want.

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

I'm trying to do just that, I've just been listening to other people about my beard....which is what had led me to trim off the sides, I keep thinking to myself that I really want to grow a yeard (year-long beard) just to see what it's like, as I have heard that too is a journey. I mean I am thinking about brushing my beard tonight, but I feeling the tangles start in the long parts of my beard that could end up dreading....I kept wondering to myself about how the sides look because they're shorter than the chin....I am trying to just let it all be so that I can see what it's like....I do keep wondering, on the topic of growing a full beard, if I should be trimming any part of my neckline.

Thanks acidburn and SE and alianemotion, for your advice on my beard so far, when I know that this site is intended for dreads and not really beards, LOL

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Since no part of my beard is yet 6 inches, would it really set me back that much if I ended up starting to brush it again? while I am waiting on the sides to grow to the same length and the whole thing to be at least 6 inches, so then I can sort of decide if I wanted beard reads or not? (which may ended up taking a while).

updated by @ravens-light: 11/06/16 09:16:20PM
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I have been growing out my beard, and just shorted a few overly long hairs, my first time taking scissors to my beard since I had been growing it, and looking at it today, I am wondering, is it long enough for dreads to form? I have attached a current photo of it, I am thinking I still have a while to go but I wanted to ask the question just to know. If another picture is needed please let me know.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

looks pretty close to long enough

beard textures vary a lot and are very different from head hair so the length needed might vary too

--

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form