Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Lumps and mold

Sissemor
@sissemor
5 years ago
54 posts

Rain Bow and I've been discussing mold risks lately and would like to hear your thoughts on this. We were rather shocked when my personal experience with mold showed us there might not be any odour at all, until the dread is cut off. This means that one could have mold and not even be aware of it. So what are the chances of getting problems with mold?

Obvious risks are of course:

Washing too frequently
Not letting hair dry completely between washing
Wearing tams when hair is wet
Washing before bedtime because hair dries too slowly (unless using a fan)
Product build-up (wax and residue)

But then there are others - dreads with big lumps and naturally rounded tips, to name one we have encountered :-( Now, it's rather simple to avoid the risk factors above if you plan washings and
perhaps use a blow dryer. But what if your dreads naturally form massive lumpy parts that take forever to dry and are perhaps extremely difficult to rinse properly after washing?

Our experience with TnR has been that the dreads may develop massive loops that aren't necessarily sucked evenly into the dread as it matures, but rather overlap and knot to some extent. The result may be
hard, lumpy parts that drain poorly, leading to mold. This means that the lumps are not "just" aesthetically displeasing but also potentially a health hazard and increase the risk of giving up on dreads altogether.

What we'd like to know is whether the risk of having lumps is related to washing, dreading method or something else. We've worked on some theories:

Tight TnR - perhaps this hinders movement of the hair in the dread causing giant loops to just cling to the surface of the rest of the dread, rather than being sucked in.

Frequent washing on the early months - perhaps this draws out loops too fast and does not allow time between washing for them to be sucked into the dread.

Washing with shampoo - there is more rubbing when washing with shampoo than with bs/vinegar rinses, and perhaps this draws out more loops.

Is natural/neglect perhaps less likely to lead to lumps?

We should stress that we know that loops are a natural part of the dreading process :-) We're not talking about normal looping. We refer to the loops that just sort of glue together in layers forming big
lumps that aren't really knotted dreads at all.

We'd like to know what you think, from your personal experience, if you've had problems with either mold or lumps, and what your dreading method was.

Also, we'd like to hear if anyone has had any luck stopping the formation of lumps using wraps, beads or something similar.


updated by @sissemor: 02/14/15 03:49:07AM
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
5 years ago
137 posts
My experience, at only 6 months, is that the lumps form on dreads that I TnR'd as well as where the hair fell loose completely. When I try to wrap them or put beads on the lump, it folds over and knots to the dread. It doesn't smooth out or get sucked in at all. I often find bits of fuzz trying to grow into my dreadies hehe. As far as I can tell there is no mold, but I use quite a few drops of lavendar in my wash and let it sit for a while before rinsing. Lavendar is supposed to kill mildew spores. I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,402 posts

who says lumps are aesthetically not pleasing?

i love my lumps

i dont think any of those factors matter whatsoever except s=light possibility if u tnr too tight and theres looser and tighter spots

lumps would need to be huge to cause trouble

ive never had any issues with lumops getting musty

only beaded areas

and parts i might have slept on or hadd in a thick pile while drying




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
5 years ago
137 posts
I forgot to mention that part, I love the way natural dreads look with the lumps and zig-zags! Maybe to some they are not easy on the eyes, but I absolutelyadore them! If you are looking for pin straightuniform dreads, you would be unhappy to find lumps. I think that would be those who dread more for the "socially acceptable" look.

soaring eagle said:

who says lumps are aesthetically not pleasing?

i love my lumps

i dont think any of those factors matter whatsoever except s=light possibility if u tnr too tight and theres looser and tighter spots

lumps would need to be huge to cause trouble

ive never had any issues with lumops getting musty

only beaded areas

and parts i might have slept on or hadd in a thick pile while drying

Sissemor
@sissemor
5 years ago
54 posts

I know you do :-) And I also know that not everyone does.

Perhaps a definition of "lumps" is missing from my first post. I'm not talking about bumps and zigzags, which should be obvious. I'm talking about real lumps - areas on the dreads that are at least 3 or 4 times the width of the rest of the dreads.These are indeed huge lumps, to me at least. And they're not really dreads at all - at least mine weren't, they were just hard and made up of overlapping loops with minimal knotting, extremely different from the rest of the dread.

Yes, tighter and looser spots on TnR is exactly what I thought might be able to cause the types of lumps I mention.

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
5 years ago
137 posts
I have one of those I think. On one of my straight dreads, right in the middle two loops popped out and are starting to fold over, I can't fit a bead over. He he it kind of looks like my dread has wings! (I should post a picture). I'm ok with it though, the spot does hold water, but I think since I am conscious of it and hold the dryer to it or squish it a lot after washing, it'll be fine :)

Sissemor said:

I know you do :-) And I also know that not everyone does.

Perhaps a definition of "lumps" is missing from my first post. I'm not talking about bumps and zigzags, which should be obvious. I'm talking about real lumps - areas on the dreads that are at least 3 or 4 times the width of the rest of the dreads.These are indeed huge lumps, to me at least. And they're not really dreads at all - at least mine weren't, they were just hard and made up of overlapping loops with minimal knotting, extremely different from the rest of the dread.

Yes, tighter and looser spots on TnR is exactly what I thought might be able to cause the types of lumps I mention.

Sissemor
@sissemor
5 years ago
54 posts

Well, if I told you I had those giant ones on most of my dreads, perhaps you would not be quick to judge me ;-) I don't want uniform dreads - what I want is mold-free dreads that I can sleep on comfortably, and I didn't have that. I do now, after I cut the moldy lumps, though ;-) So now I have short, zigzaggy, bumpy dreads. Just what I always wanted :-) Well, apart from the short part, anyway LOL

I knew this would be a difficult topic on this forum but I hope there is room for those of us who do not feel that whatever happens during the dreading process is "all good". I just thought that there might be others like me who have had problems with giant lumps they weren't crazy about, and perhaps also mold.

Good idea to be particularly thorough about drying that part!

Crystal O. said:

I have one of those I think. On one of my straight dreads, right in the middle two loops popped out and are starting to fold over, I can't fit a bead over. He he it kind of looks like my dread has wings! (I should post a picture). I'm ok with it though, the spot does hold water, but I think since I am conscious of it and hold the dryer to it or squish it a lot after washing, it'll be fine :)

Sissemor
@sissemor
5 years ago
54 posts
I'm not an expert (well, don't really believe in experts, to be honest ;-)), but it doesn't sound concerning to me :-)

Sarah Hagan-Stuff said:

i started my dreads with backcoming, but i have several dreads that have tigher and looser spots, like super dreaded, then super loose just below it, then super dreaded below the loose stuff...could this cause me to get these giant lumps you're talking about and is there anything i can do to tighten up the loose stuff? i've noticed here in the last month or so alot of my undreaded loose stuff in the middle of my dreads is gettin the natural, good loops. i figured even though there's a lot of loose hair in the middle of my dreads, that eventually they would do the natural, good looping and form themselves. am i wayoff with that assumptions?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,402 posts

lets see these sexy lumps i think i have a few and love em

btw how old r y0ur dreads?

if theyre under a year or 2 why would u worry since tghey are still changing drasticly all the time




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
5 years ago
137 posts

If I had a spot that really looked like it swallowed a plum and wouldn't dry, I would be concerned honestly,
I might have to help that spot a little, I'd probably pull it apart. I think if it looked like it swallowed a grape, I'dleave it be. :)

Rain Bow said:

I also think it is important to understand what we meant by lumps- as Sissemor said, we are not talking normal, charming bumps and zigzag, but giant lumps that makes the dread look as if it swallowed a plum.

And I believe there is a big difference between phatties/ fat spots that are propperly dreaded and locked and then the lumps we are referring to, where the hair is just layered and compressed.

 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus