Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Lumps and mold

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i had a section that developed naturally that was at least 3" wide and looked like a big wad of hair hanging from the section. my hair seems to like to knot from the bottom up creating these big zig zag blobs. i don't mind most of them because they're small but that one big one was really bothersome. it was heavy and was causing really uncomfortable pulling on my scalp and headaches. i tried to undo it but it was solid and not coming out. i considered cutting it off completely just because of the pain it caused. i ended up cutting on either side so that it is in line with the rest of the lock. i wrapped some hemp around it to hold it together and to encourage the cut hairs to bind. i no longer have the uncomfortable pulling and it dries super fast now even with the wrap on it. i'm now keeping watch on the rest of my knotting and hope to prevent this from happening again. i added beads to the ends of ones that are starting to do this so they won't pull up into a ball.
updated by @heather: 07/22/15 12:01:46PM
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

hmmm...i have these lumps on every dreadlock. they are startig to get musky/moldy. I want to join in and will be back to do so when I have some time. I posted a thread about this though called 'stinky dreadlocks'. I am concerned I will have to cut those parts off to solve this problem. I like the way they look and don't want to have to do this, but I do think I am getting mold. These lumps are really large and dense and folded layers of hair {not really dreaded I don't think}. My hair is SUPER short right now because of the way they folded over on each other again and again and I would be really sad to have to cut them and have almost no length, but I don't see the option not to at this point. I am going to cut some of them and see what I find inside and report back. I will also post a pic of what these 'lumps' look like in my hair.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

I have been keeping an eye on this thread because I think it is a very good discussion and of interest to ALOT of members. I have been curious about these dread lumps as well. I am at the 14 mo. mark soon and have quite a few enormous, hard lumps hanging from the end of my dreads. They take much longer to dry and do cause painful weight and pulling at the scalp. I have gone neglect, so I don't believe any one method is to blame. I also used BS and ACV in the beginning, but switched to a dread bar. At 8 mos. my hair was absolutely knot free, so I started trying different things. I did use alot of sea spray. I collected water from the ocean and used it after every shampoo. I usually shampoo every 2-3 day, because my scalp can get itchy from mild psoriasis. I am very careful not to wear tams, put my hair up or sleep when it is wet...but this thread has put a very valid concern into my mind. My hair smells clean and fresh...but who knows what is lurking under these knotted folds that created the lumps...?????

Sissemor
@sissemor
13 years ago
54 posts

I'm sorry you have this too :-(

I read your thread just now - do you think that the lumps are the reason your hair takes so long to dry? I mean, if they are skinny above the lumps, they should dry rather fast. Mine are now skinny to medium and dry within 6-10 hours, depending on temp. here, perhaps longer during the winter. I now use a dryer before bed if they are not bone dry, but this has only been necessary a few times during these past 2-3 months.

However, I'm sure this would not have been enough for me, if I had not cut the lumps. I would have had to dry after every washing.

If your lumps are not as dense as mine, perhaps you can get rid of the mildew and avoid cutting, using vinegar rinses and sun.

Mama Harrison said:

hmmm...i have these lumps on every dreadlock. they are startig to get musky/moldy. I want to join in and will be back to do so when I have some time. I posted a thread about this though called 'stinky dreadlocks'. I am concerned I will have to cut those parts off to solve this problem. I like the way they look and don't want to have to do this, but I do think I am getting mold. These lumps are really large and dense and folded layers of hair {not really dreaded I don't think}. My hair is SUPER short right now because of the way they folded over on each other again and again and I would be really sad to have to cut them and have almost no length, but I don't see the option not to at this point. I am going to cut some of them and see what I find inside and report back. I will also post a pic of what these 'lumps' look like in my hair.

Sissemor
@sissemor
13 years ago
54 posts

Yes, that's what really freaked me out too - the thought that it could be in there with no signs, smell or anything :-(

I have psoriasis too, and what really helped me after years of experimenting was shifting from shampoo to bs/vinegar AND salt water, which I make using 2 heaping teaspoons of sea salt to 4 cups of water and pour in and leave after every wash.

Panterra Caraway said:

I have been keeping an eye on this thread because I think it is a very good discussion and of interest to ALOT of members. I have been curious about these dread lumps as well. I am at the 14 mo. mark soon and have quite a few enormous, hard lumps hanging from the end of my dreads. They take much longer to dry and do cause painful weight and pulling at the scalp. I have gone neglect, so I don't believe any one method is to blame. I also used BS and ACV in the beginning, but switched to a dread bar. At 8 mos. my hair was absolutely knot free, so I started trying different things. I did use alot of sea spray. I collected water from the ocean and used it after every shampoo. I usually shampoo every 2-3 day, because my scalp can get itchy from mild psoriasis. I am very careful not to wear tams, put my hair up or sleep when it is wet...but this thread has put a very valid concern into my mind. My hair smells clean and fresh...but who knows what is lurking under these knotted folds that created the lumps...?????

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

hey sissemor!

just curious if you still have dreadlocks. any updated pics since the big chop you had to do? hope you and your family are doing well:)

Sissemor
@sissemor
12 years ago
54 posts

Hi Heather,

I do! Beautiful ones :-) Chopping was the best decision ever, I've had no problems since. I don't have any recent photos but will try to make hubby take some later :-)

What about you, how are yours coming along? Hope you are also doing well :-)

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts
Mine are shrinking like mad (finally). I'm a bit concerned with some of the really large clumps of hair on the ends of some of my locks though. They can take a full day or more to dry and i started to think about the problems you had. I'm seriously thinking about cutting one off and taking it apart to see if there's anything inside.
Sissemor
@sissemor
12 years ago
54 posts

Great! Where can I see pics?

I understand your concern. Do they smell? If there's mold, you might be able to smell it. What also helped for me, I think, was using real acv instead of white vinegar and then leaving it in for half an hour before rinsing, and also using a blow dryer - this was of course after I had cut the bad lumps, I don't think it would have helped much with the really big ones that were already moldy. If you're really nervous, you could just check the biggest one, maybe+

Sissemor
@sissemor
12 years ago
54 posts

I've updated my timeline now :-)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form