Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dry dreads.

Mikael Serres
@mikael-serres
11 years ago
10 posts

Hey guys! I feel my dreads are gettign really dry and I'M scared it may cause breakage. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated ! :D thanks!

updated by @mikael-serres: 01/13/15 09:53:36PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

What are you washing your hair with? If you are using the BS and not following with an ACV rinse...could be the problem. Are your dreads mature or babies? Are you using a salt spray? Salt sprays can really dry out hair. I use coconut oil on my skin after i get out of the bath. If my hair is not wet i will run my hands over the bottom half of my dreads. It puts a small amount of the oil in with out causing any problems. Or you could put a few drops in you palm and run it through your hair. I recommend coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil or olive oil. Wheat germ oil is good for hair and skin too....but it has a yellow color that stains so be careful with it. and remember a little goes a long way...so don't over do it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

or aloe (from the plant..pure)

olives wayy to easy to over use and lil hard to remove if u do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Mikael. You did crochet your dreads, which means you have many many broken hairs inside, now they are starting to come to the surface and your can feel them, they are giving off a dry feeling. This may be one of your causes.

As Taye said, follow BS with ACV. But you can also use apple cider vinegar following whatever you do wash with. Do this for your next few washes as it is a healthy conditioner. Never leave it on for a minute though or it will over condition. 1-2 capful of ACV to 5 cups water, pour over rinsed out head, leave on for 1 minute.....

I did not always use the ACV following a baking soda wash and dried out / fried out my hair over time. It took me many months to repair. But how I did was to use a spray bottle, filled with water and added essential oils to it and sprayed 2-3 times a day for the first couple of weeks, reduced it to 2, then to once a day. You can add your own, but I used: tea tree oil, lavender, rosemary and peppermint. I used 5-10 drops of each, no exact measurement, oh yeah, my spray bottle was a small one. I no longer have dried out hair, it is nice and soft. Even though I now use dreadlock shampoo, I still use ACV every two weeks........peace

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Tea Tree is an antiseptic and a fungicide so it is good for drying up acne and for small cuts. It treats Malassezia furfur . (one of the causes of dandruff, but it does not cure all reasons for aflakyscalp. It can actually cause dry scalp and flakes.

It is very drying. It has NO moisturizing ability...it actually does the opposite of what you need now. But the greatest thing about tea tree is that it repels lice!!! YAY for tea tree!!!

Mikael Serres
@mikael-serres
11 years ago
10 posts

Cool thank you guys for all the answer ! As for the shampoo I'm using it is one from Bucks County Soap recommended by this site ( I believe it isCedar, Sweetgrass & Sage Shampoo Bar to be more precise ) Hopefully my dreadies will look better by the upcoming months :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep, I use this to keep the lice away, use in on my daughter & dogs too. Had lice come in from school age children years ago and not a fun thing, never want it with dreads, so an excellent preventative. ...peace

taye said:

Tea Tree is an antiseptic and a fungicide so it is good for drying up acne and for small cuts. It treats Malassezia furfur . (one of the causes of dandruff, but it does not cure all reasons for aflakyscalp. It can actually cause dry scalp and flakes.

It is very drying. It has NO moisturizing ability...it actually does the opposite of what you need now. But the greatest thing about tea tree is that it repels lice!!! YAY for tea tree!!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form