Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hairstylist that wants dreads. Any other hairstylists that can relate?

michell loera
@michell-loera-clifford
11 years ago
11 posts

Hello everyone.. I was just wondering if there was anyone in the same situation as me? Or that is a Hairstylist with dreads...I dont have any dreads yet but have been wanting to go the natural route. I just sucks because I do hair and work in a salon and I feel that no one will understand what I am doing.. And I knowmost of them will think its very unprofessional to show up to work without my hair being done. Of course I will explain to them what I am doing and why, but still.. I also dont want it to get in the way of me getting new clients or walk ins..Because most clients judge a stylist by their hair. I was thinking of doing the TNR method just because I was thinking it would be a faster process and people would right away see that i have dreads , and not think Im just a lazy person who doesnt want to style there hair or think I am not a good hairdresser... I know that there will always be people that judge, even if I was to have awesome looking dreads. I just dont want it to cause problems at my work, or get less clients because of it..

Anyways, I have thick wavy hair and I am mexican. Will this help with my hair dreading fastercompared to some one with straight thin hair?

updated by @michell-loera-clifford: 01/13/15 09:44:48PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I do not do hair but Panterra does. She went neglect. check out her page.

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I say go for it. Who cares if people don't understand, humans will find a reason to judge eachother regardless of hairstyles. I've seen some pretty wild hairdos on hair dressers. A tam/Beanie or a headscarf is a great way to cover up your dreads in the beginning messy stages. Usually thicker more textured hair dreads quicker but it really os different for everyone. I think neglect is the best method. Let me know if you have any questions!
michell loera
@michell-loera-clifford
11 years ago
11 posts

Thanks Melanie :) your so right! Cool, I was thinking about wearing a beanie but wasnt sure if it wouldbe ok when first starting out..

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Michell. Twist & rip dreads do not stay looking that way for long so be prepared. They loosen up and zig zag and loop and shrink. The process is necessary for them to dread. Going completely natural is faster because they do not have to loosen first. Hand make beautiful head wraps with the top open for your hair to poke out, be creative with thin scarves for work. Looking at photos on this site, people with naturally curly hair dread very quickly and they do not need to twist&rip. No brushing or conditioning lotions, or palm rolling or hooks. All you need is patience and a vision of what they will become. Welcome to the site and all the best with your decision.

Jessica Wilson
@jessica-wilson
11 years ago
17 posts

I know this may sound off but....have you considered another career? I became licensed in 1994 (showing my age lol). Over the years I left the business, I came to realize it just wasn't for I.

Your concern is a very valid one. This will create a problem for you professionally. Not only will it cause a problem with walk-ins, you might loose regular clients. Please don't view my comment as negative, only honest.

I am not trying to discourage you from growing locks, in fact I STRONGLY encourage that you take the journey. It is life changing! I also recommend going natural. I started with TnR and I deeply regret it because I feel i cheated Iself. If you do still decide to TnR don't make the mistake I did. I made mine extremely tight (guess that comes from years of corn rowing lol). I feel the tightness has slowed down the process.

Bless!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Society does want people to look a certain way, so I see your point as a hair stylist and looking a certain way for your customers. Some will judge yours without inquiring about it. In the first few months it will look messy, and this may cause you a slight loss of income as walk ins may differ to another stylist. Tough call for you. Please do your hair a favour and do not give into wax or hooks to have the instant fake dread look which will hold in smells, water and start to mould. As I said earlier, use hair wraps, scarves etc, wonderful ones can be found in thrift stores, that way you can get tons of them, change up the look daily. Customers will enjoy seeing how creative you can get with your hair. Once your dreads are mature, customers will love them, just got to get through that hump, and I won't fool you, it is a doozie. Good luck on your decision

michell loera
@michell-loera-clifford
11 years ago
11 posts

Thanks everyone for the advice..Before I found this site I didnt know much about dreads.Now I know a lot more,I will for sure be doing it the natural way..I have thought about changing my career but for now everything is going good for me and I enjoy it. Luckily my clients are very chill people so Im sure they will be fine but as for new people im not so sure.. Im definately going to be wearing something over my hair atleast during work

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea it will drreasd faster and we have a few hair stylists who wentg natural [anterra has over 30 years experience doing hair shes not been on alot lately (personal issues) but when she can she pops in

shed be a great 1 to talk to

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form