Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twist and rip vs back comb

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

i am looking to hear pros and cons of each method and hopefully people that have used both can give me some feedback .....i appreciate it thanks

updated by @danielle-hache: 01/13/15 09:33:05PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i only used natural and thats the 1 i would highly recomend most

but between tnr and backcomb tnr for si=ure

advantages and disadvabntages of each

backcombs much more damaging sticks straight up looking clownlike and fall apart lots more often

tnr looks better from day 1 but might look lil braid like at 1st if u dont randomize enough

tnr i s easier less damage quicker looks better latys down rigt and probly holds together gbeter

but try natural instead

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I personally have experience with both. If you choose not to go neglect ( which is always the best choice) than the next two choices are TnR and back combing. There are pros and cons to both.

TnR, a bit more gentle on your hair. If you get excited about the zig zags...go with this choice. You get lots more than with back comb. Ok. in my personal experience...TnR falls out/ comes undone a lot easier and more often than back comb. The sections start out a whole lot skinnier in the beginning. You don't lose as much length in the beginning. but lose lots of length in the first year.

Back combing, depending on how it is done...can cause damage. back combing needs to be done gently.
you get less zig zags that form. It stays in a bit better. You loose a lot of length in the beginning and not as much (but still some) during the first year. The sections look a bit thicker in the beginning but can also look poofy.

TnR requires no tools at all. Back combing requires a comb.

End results.....at 4 yrs...you cannot tell which dreads were back combed which were TnR or which were neglect. So it is a choice for you to make.

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

thanks for the comments...i am beginning now with the tnr method ...i will post pics ...:)

Christopher Wayne Allen
@christopher-wayne-allen
12 years ago
16 posts

back comb damages hair more and causes them to become a lot shorter

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I have personally used both. TnR is gentler on the hair than backcombing/ratting. Also, TnR gives you a more cylindrical appearance at first where sometimes backcombing can make your dreads look like bristles on a bottle brush. Both will loosen up and some, if not all, will come undone completely. I only had about 3- 5 of my TnR come undone while the rest just loosened up and then re-tightened on their own.

I think the zig-zags on the backcombing depend on how you do it. Some people backcomb tightly while others do it in broader stroks. This can also change the bristliness.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form