Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Worried About Separation Or Lack Of..

Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
My 11 year old daughter decided to dread her hair. :) The problem is that its dreading fast. Too fast almost. We did some T&R on it, About 50 of them are T&R. It was taking us awhile to do it so by the time we got to the 50 we realized that her hair was desperate to dread so we decided to let the rest of it (mostly underneath) go natural.My question is the separating. We are separating it every day. She is washing it every 3 days with the BS and ACV. But it is knotting and matting bad. Really bad. To the point where when I try to separate it, I cant. We try to separate it to the scalp and it just wont. There is still a 'webbing' of hair. And the underneath is just matting to all the T&R dreads.Im not sure what to do, or maybe this is all normal? She loves them and would be devastated if they starting matting/dreading all together but that is what I am afraid is going to happen.Should I try to clip the hairs with a scissors? Tearing just isnt working.Ill try to take pics upclose of the scalp area but for now, this is how its looking: (and this is 3 days ago, its so much more matted/dreaded now. Its just crazy.These pics are just at 9 days in.
updated by @nicole: 01/13/15 08:51:54PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
theyre beautifulllok heres what u can try'rip to the roots as much as u can then try 2 different things1slide i dinger under the hairs close to the scalp and pull upwards and outu can also take 2 fingers between the dreads pressing down on the scalp and sliding them apart towards the dreads so your pusshing the hairs towards the dreads they belong inthey will settle down but some of the rnr might just want to be part of some of the naturals if theyre not too big u can let some congo if u want

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts

Ok. We added some beads to help with the seperation but its not working. In one day her hair is a mass of knots at the roots. How much seperation is necessary? Do we need to get ALL the hairs, all the way down to the scalp? Or can there be a slight webbing of hairs? It is so painful for her when I seperate them. They are knotting up so fast her scalp cant keep up it seems. Im worried that they are going to congo and then she will hate them. Im at the point now where I am wondering if this si right for her. She doesnt want to take them out and they do look amazing now, but I am worried that the lack of seperation is going to get out of control.

So, is 'just enough' good enough or do we need to be getting ALL the hairs?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

enoughs enough as long as u do it often eniough that that webbing doesnt grow out to become an inch of solid connections as ling as u sewperate and keep it so theres nit alot connecting your fine u can stoll seperate more when u need to

if shes got a whole lot of dreads u could also let thenm congo and only seperate co9ngo from vcongo ewhich gets easy cause they dont combune as much bvut im thinking thats a lil early to do

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
damn im too tired to type haha srry i will get u a decoder ring if u need 1

--
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
well im going to offer my opinion, people may not like this because of my views on scissors but its just my opinion, not my advicemy head has always had a layer of webbing to a degree. for the most point i just leave it if i cant separate it by pulling dreads apart. if its really bad ill try to split hairs with my fingers or snap some with my fingers. in the event of a few bad congos, ive been known to take a small pair of scissors to the area and carefully cut hairs 2-5 hairs at a time, making ABSOLUTELY SURE i know which hairs im cutting before i snip. i personally feel that if you know what you're doing with scissors and triple check your work before snipping, its a lot less strain on everything around and connected to it especially if you're dealing with a fragile area. if separating doesnt work and and i can tell ripping would cause a problem after attempting it, i usually resort to the scissors. just make sure you dont cut very much hair at once, less than 10 hairs at a time.a lot of the danger with scissors is accidentally cutting something you shouldnt/dont want to. ripping is generally better due to the hair telling you where it wants to separate rather than creating a clean, manufactured cut through it in an unnatural pattern. in my experience cutting very few hairs at a time avoids that for the most part. basically just use common sense with your technique and you should be fine.just my opinion but i wanted to get that out in case you decided to try scissors for yourself.usually though a bit of webbing isnt much of an issue, as the dread grows a bit of webbing will eventually easily snap when you pull dreads apart to separate.
Rebekah
@rebekah
14 years ago
10 posts

My hair did this too: very fast and all connectedin a webbedmat at the bottom...I found it sort of chilled out after about the 3ish week mark. It slowed down andI was able to "catch up" on the seperating. At first I thought I would never be able to seperate all the way down to the roots but when I pulled them apart they sure did...I hope that helps...

Maybe she could seperate them herself and it won't hurt so bad?I agree that they look great

Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
Thanks everyone. She is at about 3ish weeks and it is getting better. We still cant get all the way to the roots but Im not as worried anymore.We are working on a timeline now too. She is looking so so good. Even her Dad, who was not thrilled with this idea at first, is liking them :) Im so proud of her.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form