Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Still unraveled in front..but possibly too knotty in back! Help?

Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
Well my dreads are now 4 and a half months old..started with t&r. The dreads on the side of my head are now completely unraveled on both sides. They've been this way for the last 2 months with no improvement. I have no idea what to do..it seems like nothing will help them..my hair is just too straight. I'm beginning to think that I need to re twist and rip or backcomb,even though I know everyone says its pointless.The dreads in the back however are looking alittle too knotty..in the pictures you will see that every dread in the back has huge loops and knots..they look like one giant rats nest..not seperate lovely dreads. Will they ever calm themselves and loosen up? I know 41/2 months is still just the start but I just wonder if my hair is ment for dreads. Haha. I love them still.. even the huge loops..but I really just want to be sure they'll sort themselves out somehow and look like real dreads. Any advice? Thanks :)
updated by @alicia: 01/13/15 08:44:23PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
As they mature and tighten they will all look like your knotty ones. Those look like all of mine look right now ... Do you sleep on the back of your head? That's probably why that part is the knottiest. I say twist and rip again. If you have no knots then you can do that. You shouldn't rebackcomb or reTnR when you still have them in knots but if you have nothing it can't hurt.I recommend getting a wool tam. That will really speed the locking and give even friction to the hair all around your head not just the part compressed by sleep.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea i was thinking that too and that u must run your fingers thru it alot if u tnr the sides n frint again a bead will help the backs looking good u might just progress lil slow your hair looks like silky shinywhat do u wash withumm only concern with the back is that it might congo ezwear a wool hat alot and do some sea salt sprays and see if the next month doesnt start improving

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JahWillProvide
@jahwillprovide
14 years ago
95 posts
well for 1 with dreadss u cud ever e tooo knotty :] as for the sides leave em alone it will uravel & as time goes dreadup dont get discouraged all u need is time da best advice i cud give u is dont stress too much but enjoy the craziess and one day they will be all knotted up :]
Lizzy Rue
@lizzy-rue
14 years ago
12 posts
I'm in the same exact boat as you right now. I'm 4 months in. The back of mine was all a rats nest like 2 weeks ago, but now they're actually looking like dreads. I have to seperate them a lot, they're really crazy right now. But the front just recently started getting knots at the end, which is how the ones in the back started. My hair is crazy and curly anyway though, yours would def take longer than mine. I guess I don't have any great advice, just seperate often and be patient :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Oh I forgot to say, if you don't particularly like that loopy zigzagyness it will pass as they mature ...that's basically the teenage rebellious stage :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i think they look pretty cool and unique as they are ;) but yea a tam will help em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
No..I sleep on my side actually and I thought maybe thats why the sides never knotted. And I try to never touch the sides of my hair at all and even yell at my son when he tries to haha. Well I use to always use dr. b's shampoo but it turned my entire tub white with residue and there was white gunk in my hair from it too. Maybe the water here just doesnt go well with it? I always diluted it 12 to 1 like the bottle says..so recently I have been using baby shampoo because someone on here had said that they use it. Since then the white stuff is gone. But the baby shampoo can't be the reason for the sides not knotting because the sides have been this way for atleast 2 months now. So who knows! Haha. I might try twist and ripping them again. I'm glad you guys think my crazy loops will settle down eventually though. soaringeagle said:
yea i was thinking that too and that u must run your fingers thru it alot if u tnr the sides n frint again a bead will help the backs looking good u might just progress lil slow your hair looks like silky shiny
what do u wash with
umm only concern with the back is that it might congo ez
wear a wool hat alot and do some sea salt sprays and see if the next month doesnt start improving
JahWillProvide
@jahwillprovide
14 years ago
95 posts
it could also be the baby shampoo its probaly coating your hair with residue not allowig knots to form try the baking soda ad acv wash it works miracles :]
Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
Well I only just started using the baby shampoo about 2 weeks ago..this problem has been going on for 2 months so it can't be just the shampoo. But yea..I may switch to the baking soda rinse anyways. JahWillProvide said:
it could also be the baby shampoo its probaly coating your hair with residue not allowig knots to form try the baking soda ad acv wash it works miracles :]
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form