Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

~Help for a new dreader~

Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
So I have just begun my long awaited journey and I need some help. My family is not so cool with the whole dread lifestyle, and definately not cool with me not cleaning my hair all the time. Is it alright to soak with sea salt every other day or no? And I just got hooked up with a bottle of eucalyptus dr. Bronners for freeI understand teatree is far more beneficial but is that alright aswell?Really what I am looking for is everyones tricks and tips for maintaning my hair well and dreading asNaturally as possibleThis is kind of a stealth dread mission for me for the next few months. Then I am alright.Thanks to all of you..Peace..
updated by @jamie-thompson: 02/14/15 06:17:43AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
eucolyptus can be intense on the genitals and sensative areas so just be ready for an intence experience it can clear sinuses and make eyes waterdilute it ofcourseu can wash your dreads often every 3-4 days ids goodu can use sea salt a couple hours b4 u wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
Ya I have heard of the intensity. Could I add other essential oils to the eucalyptus dilution?And how strong should I brew a thyme tea?Thanks SE

soaringeagle said:
eucolyptus can be intense on the genitals and sensative areas so just be ready for an intence experience it can clear sinuses and make eyes water dilute it ofcourseu can wash your dreads often every 3-4 days ids goodu can use sea salt a couple hours b4 u wash
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can add teatree and rosemary umm the thyme tea i think u want it strong i know u can use it to kill mold too thenu want it real strong theres a few herbs threads that talk about herbs for dreads i believe the thyme for oiliness is in mountainwillows "herbs for the head and dreads" Jamie Thompson said:
Ya I have heard of the intensity. Could I add other essential oils to the eucalyptus dilution?
And how strong should I brew a thyme tea?
Thanks SE

soaringeagle said:
eucolyptus can be intense on the genitals and sensative areas so just be ready for an intence experience it can clear sinuses and make eyes water dilute it ofcourse

u can wash your dreads often every 3-4 days ids good
u can use sea salt a couple hours b4 u wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Just wash your hair on a regular basis. If your goal is to be washing your hair 2 or 3 times a week. Tell your family that and let them know that you are working on getting to that point.You can also mention the fact that you are saving money by washing your hair less often because you are using less hair products than everyone else. You can also tell your family that you are giving your hair the chance to become healthier.
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
rotflmao!!!! i like the peppermint kind its totally tingly ;) and i wouldnt soak in salt that oftn u dont need to i mean u could if u rince it well i guess and just make sure u dilute the bronners doing that in a spray bottle makes things way easy just spray and scrup when ur in the shower i only wash with soap once a week but i B/S wash mon and wed and soap fri and im clean not dirt here soaringeagle said:
eucolyptus can be intense on the genitals and sensative areas so just be ready for an intence experience it can clear sinuses and make eyes water
dilute it ofcourse

u can wash your dreads often every 3-4 days ids good
u can use sea salt a couple hours b4 u wash
Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
Haha I have already told my mom I am trying to conserve water.Herbs are really my business so if I can find that thread and figure out what is beneficial I could hopefully make my own blends right?Wool at night?Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

GoldenEagle said:
Just wash your hair on a regular basis. If your goal is to be washing your hair 2 or 3 times a week. Tell your family that and let them know that you are working on getting to that point.You can also mention the fact that you are saving money by washing your hair less often because you are using less hair products than everyone else. You can also tell your family that you are giving your hair the chance to become healthier.
Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
Thanks man that is a lot of help... trial and error sounds about right. i am in an early stage so i am gonna get my hair healthy and see how it goes from there.Im not sure if you can answer this aswell, when washing your hair should i scrub my scalp thoroughly or will that mess up the dreading.Peace and many thanks
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Ummm, you don't wanna wash a wool tam in hot water and especially let it soak...it will ruin it. You want to use a gentle soap like baby shampoo or even very diluted Dr. B's and lukewarm water. Squeeze the tam gently to get the soap through and then rinse with cool water until you get all the soap out...just keep gently squeezing. Roll it up in a big towel and push on the towel to squeeze the water out and then put the tam on another dry towel to dry. Do not let it sit in the sun or on a heat source. You will shrink and felt your tam with hot water or agitation. Chewin Change said:
Yes you will have to experiment, everyone is different. I just recently found the right ratios for washes, the right temps for rinses, the right ways to dry, etc... It's trial and error! And it's been 2 and a half months for me. But hey thats the fun part. Really.

And yeah GoldenEagle is right, most hair products make hair much nastier. Which is why lots of the general public is grossed out /w washing their hair every other day. But your scalp adjusts and soon enough, after 2 days it's still cleaner than most people's hair after a day at work.

Wool at night, definitely. If you want, wool half of the day as well.. Good old wind (not too much in early stages, can undo dreading). Even having a fan on while you sleep helps. Wool @ night helped the most for me along side proper washing. Just make sure to clean your tam regularly (I was told by my tam creator to use a capful of dawn in about 8 cups of water, letting it sit in HOT water for at least 20 minutes. only wash and rinse with HOT water. alternating temperatures cause felting). I'm thinkin of cycling tams so that my tams don't add any extra oil to my hair.

Good luck! You won't really need it cause hair dreads no matter what, though. :)
Jamie Thompson
@jamie-thompson
14 years ago
36 posts
after washing new dreads is it beneficial to let them completely air dry or should they be dried by a towel.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form