Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello Everyone!

PoopiePants
@poopiepants
14 years ago
81 posts
Since the early 90's I've been growing my hair long & neglecting it hoping it will eventually lock up. Then I get to a point where I'm sick of waiting, and just shave my head. I hate the tickling of my face from the long hair. Still too short to pony-tail, but long enough to constantly tickle me. So I end up going the shaved route for a while to enjoy the feeling of having a bald head. This isn't at all necessary, since I've never had anything remotely close to a knot, but I love having no hair almost as much as I want locked hair. Then I grow it back again hoping it'll eventually lock, and again Nothing! It's usually around 6-10 inches in length by the time I finally decide to give up. I've recently discovered(thanks to the internut) that sea salt can be used as a so called "dreadlock accelerator". I haven't brushed/combed my hair since I've grown it back again(1yr & 5mo's), but decided to try to comb it a couple days ago just for the hell of it. The comb went through my hair like butter. only twice did the comb even remotely snag. I sometimes go months without washing my hair. I sometimes wash my hair more than once a week, but for the most part I wash it every 2 weeks or longer. I just use shampoo(mind you I'm doubting it's residue free). and No conditioners. I've always hated how soft they make my hair feel. I read somewhere that dreadlocks were popular amongst surfers because of the tendency of their hair to lock up due to the salty sea water. This gives me hope. Since I basically already practice the neglect method(I haven't even owned a brush/comb in well over a decade), I've decided to just add a sea salt soak to my routine(or lack thereof), and I'm also going to try a residue free shampoo. Yesterday I had my first salt water soak. Today I'm feeling for the first time that the neglect method might finally pay off for me. Only time will tell.
updated by @poopiepants: 02/14/15 09:06:16AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Hey welcome!, hope it works out for you now, just remember patience.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
6 inch is minumum length ty7picaly for neglect you were probly giving upo evrerytiume u were about to see progressbut is youir hair oily?u can try also adding beads to sections

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jim the Kraken
@jim-the-kraken
14 years ago
81 posts
welcome and good luck!
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
14 years ago
219 posts
Keep in mind too that clean hair dreads better and faster, try washing a couple times a week, might help.
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
you could try a little wool rubbing, still pretty natural and a little helping hand never hurt anyone. also you def gonna want to wash your hair at least once or twice, washing strips the hair of oils and helps it dread. just make sure to use a soap that's good for dreads.It would be totally awesome if you made sure to take progress photos every month or so. Same position every time, from different angles. there are not enough dread time lines out there
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
14 years ago
81 posts
Thanks Everyone for the welcome! The only thing I've actually done so far is a Sea Salt soak every couple days(only 3 so far). I haven't even changed my shampoo yet and I can already tell my hair is going to lock up if i keep doing what I'm doing. I live in canada, it's winter, so I wear a wool toque quite a bit already anyways. I'll have to try rubbing my head a bit when i'm wearing it. I've always rubbed my head through it to scratch my head, but I can see it helping now. It's hasn't even been a week yet, and for the first time in many many years my fingers actually get stuck when I try to push it back out of my face. No actual dreads are forming yet(not even close), but at this rate it isn't going to take long at all for them to at least start. I'm truly amazed. I'm going to try to get my hands on a camera one of these days.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
awesomethe natural ways amazinbg isnt it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TaMMiKiNS
@tammikins
14 years ago
22 posts
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-for USE THIS!get away from the commercial shampoos and try this out. I was using Knotty Boy dread shampoo for a little while, was pretty unsatisfied and then came across this on here.. I noticed a HUGE difference as soon as I got out of the shower the first time I used it. I use it 2-3 times a week and LOVE IT! Should help you out a bunch. Good luck!
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
14 years ago
81 posts
I read about baking soda a while ago, and have really been meaning to get some. I've read that thread before too. It sounds great. I'm going to try it one of these days for sure. The sea salt soaks have been awesome for me too. I don't have any actual dreads yet, but several small matts are starting. I look forward to the changes baking soda may bring. Tammi Baran said:
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-for
USE THIS!get away from the commercial shampoos and try this out. I was using Knotty Boy dread shampoo for a little while, was pretty unsatisfied and then came across this on here.. I noticed a HUGE difference as soon as I got out of the shower the first time I used it. I use it 2-3 times a week and LOVE IT! Should help you out a bunch. Good luck!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form