Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cheap wooden beads???

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I have seen some posts on here regarding cheap beads. Is it possible that these beads have been treated with chemicals, who knows what? That could leach out on to the skin, especially when wet. I think that is the point,who knows what they have been treated with, unless it is raw wood, I couldn't recommend it.

This was posted as a question, more or less. Does anyone actually know what these type of beads might be treated with?

peace

updated by @tim5: 01/13/15 09:54:44PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Never thought of that Tim. What about if they get soaked over night first to leach out, would that help?

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I don't know what the treatment might be. I'll see if I can find some common treatments. I just don't know, its only just occurred to me.

Peace

the Barrellady said:

Never thought of that Tim. What about if they get soaked over night first to leach out, would that help?

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I would think because they are cheap....they are coated in a cheap lacquer..probably acrylic because of the fast dry time. I seriously doubt that arsenic or anything like that is used....it would add to the cost for one thing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the cheapest beads are a stick you found and whittled into a bead

so they maybe treated with dirt

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation#Hazards

This is Wiki's article on wood treatments. But it's all about lumber. I don't think any of it actually applies to art grade beads. Like Taye said, if they actually treated art beads with the chemicals used in the lumber industry, those beads would be much more expensive.

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
11 years ago
59 posts
Hey Tim, did you ever do the sandalwood beads? I still want one! Shoot me an email if you can: keswagner@gmail.com
MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts
Probably cheap lacquer. Although untreated wood also has the potential of molding and rotting. Natural sealed wood is usually sealed with beeswax... So it's hard to say what's the best choice really. I'd look for wood beads and just look closely on the package to see if they say non-toxic. Wood beads made for children's toys would be the best choice though.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form