dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Wax Removal Process

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts

Hello Everyone,

Back in 1998 I began my dread journey and felt unsure of how to do it. I saw a website promoting wax and thought well I'll try it. You gotta understand that I just got through with putting relaxers on my hair and having braided extensions. I started fresh with shaving my head. Then as it grew in I decided to let it keep on growing in. I felt very self conscious about how they were looking as they were growing in. A guy called me Medusa at once while waiting for the bus and thought I should just try it the wax just to keep them under control.

I used the tiniest amount because I noticed how thick it was.

To make a long story short, it is almost 14yrs later and it is still there despite my cleaning them once a week.

I saved up the money and bought the Dread Wax Removal Shampoo from knotty and nice. Today was my 2nd wash and I think it is almost all gone. I'd say one more wash and it will all be gone. It was so worth the money I spent. And I thought of it as a treat to my dreads after they have suffered the suffocation of the evil thick dread wax.

My locks are a bit more sparse now because the places where the wax was trapped in my locks became quite weak and bits of my dreads broke of. Luckily I didn't lose that much length. My husband says it looks like I got a dreadcut. I don't care if they look shorter. They are so much healthier and will only get better with keeping things simple.

I will show you all a before and after. I hope this helps anyone who is deciding whether or not to use dread wax.

My locks would be longer if I had not succumbed to cheesy dread wax advertising! Please do not make the same mistake!!!

The last photo is before I used the dreadwax removal shampoo and the first photo is after two washings using the dread wax removal shampoo.

updated by @trina-sandress: 02/15/15 12:33:18AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would use it several times beyond when you think its all gone just to be sure

it is evil stuff

and alotta ppl think it wshes out so think its ok to use jar after jar for years

thank god most ppl now know that wax isnt the way to go

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts

You know you are probably right.

It has been in there for quite a while so it is quite foolish of me to think I could get rid of it that soon.

My dreads smell really nice.

I was tempted to cut them and my inner voice spoke saying to treat my dreads to this and I will be thankful that I did.

Wearing my dreadlocks are a very spiritual thing for me. For me they symbolize my connection with Mother Earth,patience,and wisdom. I plan on having them til the day I die.

Thank you for being so helpful and supportive!!!

Yes,Thank Goddess the word is getting out. All truth is simple was something I once read in one of my many metaphysical books.

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts

Thanks fancyAmanda!

I am in it for the long term. I have never felt so liberated as when decided to get rid of my combs,brushes,and curling irons! Also known as tortrue devices. I never liked to comb my hair and hated when my mom yank and rip at my head to "tame"my tightly coiled hairs.

I went to your photo gallery. Your dreads are looking very nice! It seems you are enjoying the journey.!

Lots of love to you and your healthy locks! :-]

Dreadtheworld
@dreadtheworld
13 years ago
9 posts

Hi Trina,

your locks look great. You really got good Dread hair. Looking at your photo's on your profile page-

very cool. I was just wondering do you cut your dreads? Just curious thats all.

You also sound like you got it together, you got a good attitude. Yeah one thing I have learnt is patience!

PEACE

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts

@Dreadtheworld thank you so much for your kind words.

I had cut my dreads several years ago thinking I needed to look more professional for job interviews but I didn't cut them completely off. I just evened them out. I haven't done that since then. I have just let it grow intheir different shapes and sizes without any intervention.

Patience is the key for sure and I have learned to just keep them clean and to let them be how they want to be.

I know at 13yrs my dreads would have been longer if I would have just left them alone but I can't look back I can only concentrate on the present and I am happy to have them.

They will be with me til I die!

Dreadtheworld
@dreadtheworld
13 years ago
9 posts

Amen to that.[ Dreadsforlife ]

That is alway's a problem, having to look "more professional for work and interviews etc.That is probably one of the main reasons why people resort to wax,etc. Cutting them is very severe though. But we all do what we think is the best thing at the time. I agree not to dwell on the past but to look at the NOW and where we heading. And learn from our past mistakes.

It sounds like you on the right track now I glad to hear you happy I think that is what it is all about.

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts
Definitely! It is all about being happy and being free to be my natural self!
PowpOwpoW
@powpowpow
13 years ago
9 posts

@Trina Sandress your dreads are dope!!!!!! I can only imagine what they would be like if you never cut them!!! You said you free formed right? I wanna try that but i dont understand how the new growth is just gonna lock itself.... i have 5 month old dreads and havent retwisted in a month and my dreads are sitting on a little mini fro lol

I also co sign the 'no wax' movement...... i think it might have been easier for me to get the wax out my hair since im still in my early stages (dish soap and elbow grease worked for me)...... but i missed the ones along my neck line when washing and they had all types of lint and dust trapped in them which i was assuming was because of the wax....... so i cut them off...... lesson learned

Trina Sandress said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

har dreads as it grows at 5 months you will have loose roots thats normal they tighhten by the time theyre mature but the mini fro will alewways be there its the garden that your dreads grow from new dreads will be born there all the time

PowpOwpoW said:

@Trina Sandress your dreads are dope!!!!!! I can only imagine what they would be like if you never cut them!!! You said you free formed right? I wanna try that but i dont understand how the new growth is just gonna lock itself.... i have 5 month old dreads and havent retwisted in a month and my dreads are sitting on a little mini fro lol

I also co sign the 'no wax' movement...... i think it might have been easier for me to get the wax out my hair since im still in my early stages (dish soap and elbow grease worked for me)...... but i missed the ones along my neck line when washing and they had all types of lint and dust trapped in them which i was assuming was because of the wax....... so i cut them off...... lesson learned

Trina Sandress said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form