Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hairstylists' and dreads...

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts
a pamphlet is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely bring that up with them. That school is going to be so sick of me that they may just bend the rules and let me teach a class just to get me to shut up about it lol.Oh I know! Seriously, that bill was just absurd. I can't even begin to explain how infuriated I was about it all. It wa a pretty big deal, Tabatha Coffey even got involved. r/> Valrie said:

Perhaps if you can't teach at the school would they be willing to give out pamphlets regarding dreadlocks during that particular session?

I went to an absolutely HORRENDOUS beauty school and eventually was forced to drop out, 300 hours away from graduating. I just couldn't stand it! When I was a student there, I was showing other student how to make dreadlock extensions because I was wearing them at the time. My particular school DID NOT teach dreadlocks, even as an additional class (I actually had to pay extra to get certified in Japanese hair straightening techniques as well as Braids and Extensions (weaves) and this was back in 2005.

When looking up information about dreadlocks at that time, all I could find was backcomb w/beesewax, egg white wash, locking gels, glue and dread perms (I only recently heard of crocheting - sorry, my hooks are precious and used for YARN ONLY! - and root interlocking as well as the TnR method - which I showed one of my stylist friends from school.) Also, one of the popular stylist sites that I would visit was Hair Police . I just popped over to the site and they actually do dread perms with regular maintenance (which isn't stated) but won't use wax or any of the nasty goopy products.

I feel bad and I can completely empathize with your stance, Stephani, since hairdressers are the product of their education, which is definitely outdated (I still can't believe finger waves are a state board requirement!)

The other thing that is ridiculous is reading about that law that your state almost passed. The state board exam's main focus is client safety - how can they say that being a hair stylist is not dangerous to clients?! They obviously never had a lye-based relaxer on their hair. :P

updated by @stephani: 07/22/15 07:28:09AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Oh... waitaminute. Maybe you can see about doing a demo at a hair show? Do you have many shows in your area? Perhaps demoing the TnR method while explaining the various methods, what works best to achieve healthier locks, and what to avoid?

Also, perhaps some of the higher profile stylist, such as Coffey, can be written letters about this issue in the hopes of more updated dreadlocking education.

Stephani said:

a pamphlet is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely bring that up with them. That school is going to be so sick of me that they may just bend the rules and let me teach a class just to get me to shut up about it lol.

Oh I know! Seriously, that bill was just absurd. I can't even begin to explain how infuriated I was about it all. It wa a pretty big deal, Tabatha Coffey even got involved. r/>

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

you guys have such great suggestions!! I will email Tabatha, and a few of the other well known stylists'. I will also email Behind The Chair Magazine. We will get the word out some way for sure! In order to demo at a hair show, you must be a platform artist, and work for one of the big name companies. BUT, I promise I wont give up with trying to get the word out there. :)

Valrie said:

Oh... waitaminute. Maybe you can see about doing a demo at a hair show? Do you have many shows in your area? Perhaps demoing the TnR method while explaining the various methods, what works best to achieve healthier locks, and what to avoid?

Also, perhaps some of the higher profile stylist, such as Coffey, can be written letters about this issue in the hopes of more updated dreadlocking education.

Stephani said:

a pamphlet is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely bring that up with them. That school is going to be so sick of me that they may just bend the rules and let me teach a class just to get me to shut up about it lol.

Oh I know! Seriously, that bill was just absurd. I can't even begin to explain how infuriated I was about it all. It wa a pretty big deal, Tabatha Coffey even got involved. r/>
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Haha! I was thinking, make a bunch of dreadlock awareness fliers and have people all over the word infiltrate salons and schools, leaving them tucked into hair books, on bulletin boards, at front counters, etc. That could be funny. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good idea you me and panterra should all get together and work on something together

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

hopefully they will be willing to learn

we had talked about collecting a truck load of cut off waxy dreads to bury jonny cleans house in a mountain of sticky dreads

but i like the pamphlets better if they are gonna concider what they say

perhaps we coulpd start with just a youtube video and try to educate some of the ones on there 1st since they ar some of the worse

--
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I was going to suggest putting together a youtube video. I have a channel, that I've done nothing with due to the lack a good source of recording, but I now have a webcam, not the greatest, but it will get the point across I think. I can record something either sunday or monday if you would like me to. I can make it either instructive, or like a Q and A type thing or both. Let me know what you think.

soaring eagle said:

hopefully they will be willing to learn

we had talked about collecting a truck load of cut off waxy dreads to bury jonny cleans house in a mountain of sticky dreads

but i like the pamphlets better if they are gonna concider what they say

perhaps we coulpd start with just a youtube video and try to educate some of the ones on there 1st since they ar some of the worse

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i got a channel the sites got a chanel we can put something together usue what you record and peice that together with a slideshow of pictures with examples i got a good webcam and a good digital cam that does hd vid but i cant seem to find the chargers for the batteries for those so might have to use the webcam for now

--
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
I am a certified hair stylist too, and I understand what you and soaring eagle is saying.After I get my education on natural hair and organic hair care, I want to open up a shop, not necessary salon, but an organic shop.I want to offer natural dreading hair care, to educate the right way to dread hair, or what kind of products to use. I also want to take classes on glass beads, clay beads, and metal working to create accessories for dreads(or accessories in general). And sell my art and support local artists by hanging up their art at my shop :)I just gotta figure where I should go to open up my shop :)
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

that sounds like an awesome goal to have!! I wish you all the luck with it :) You would definitely want to open it in an area where dreads are a popular style. Where I'm from they are not very common.

Angela Lee said:

I am a certified hair stylist too, and I understand what you and soaring eagle is saying.

After I get my education on natural hair and organic hair care, I want to open up a shop, not necessary salon, but an organic shop.

I want to offer natural dreading hair care, to educate the right way to dread hair, or what kind of products to use. I also want to take classes on glass beads, clay beads, and metal working to create accessories for dreads(or accessories in general). And sell my art and support local artists by hanging up their art at my shop :)

I just gotta figure where I should go to open up my shop :)

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form