Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hairstylists' and dreads...

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I have heard of States that offer things like that. A few months ago the state of Indiana (in which I live and work) tried to pass a House Bill that would make it possible for anyone to become a hairstylist. They stated is was not necessary to be educated in the of hair, because what we do "isn't life threatening". If that Bill had passed, they would've taken away all of our licenses. I went to the capital the day they were deciding this and spoke in front of the board. Because of mine and other stylists testimonies, they killed the Bill. I am so happy I do not work in a State that would allow just a certificate for something like that.

soaring eagle said:

gotta respect ya alot for that

its not only students that are cocky tho

i guess in dread salons its a lil different too cause manmy of em dont require cosmotology trainung just loctician traing andsome states dont even require any training others u need a braiders liscence so you really dont need any education on hair care at all just dreading techniques most of which are wrong

so you take your course.. a few hours training in a specific technique like sisterlocks traing you get your interlocking kit and think yu know everything there is to know about dreads..and they go into a salon or start 1 in their basement they dont lose the cockiness cause they arent in a full salon setting with far more experienced stylists to put thenm in their place

Stephani said:

I can tell you from my 6 years in this industry, students are extremely cocky. They do think they know everything, until the day they step foot in a salon on their first day of work. That's when they become a "deer in head lights", and realize they really know nothing at all, and everything they were taught was dated and aged by about 30 years. One thing every Hairdresser has to learn is that, you will not ever get anywhere if you always do what you've always done. I will never claim to know everything there is to know about my profession. I do however strive to educate myself as best I can in every form of hair styling that there is. I believe there is so much to learn in this world and I will never settle for less. Any stylist that has a passion as strong as mine for this business would say the same thing. Education is my number 1 priority in everything that I do.

soaring eagle said:

btw wouldnt reffer so many ppl to panterra for help if i didnt respect her knowledge as a hairdresser

but these days u get those who are in cosmo school not even grat]duated anjd they think they know everythung about dreads and will tell you "you cant wash them and you have to use wax" and they wont believe you if yu say otherwise

updated by @stephani: 07/22/15 07:28:10AM
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I work in a small town next to a decent sized city in Indiana lol, New Haven. Our salon has a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/CreativeCutsNH

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you could offer it then

what gets me is all these "pattented" dreads

like sisterlocks and nappylocks went to court over them pattenting interlocking then the weird sistas claimed to have a top secret patented weaving technique..wucj=h turned out to v]=be crocheting

and in i think virginia 1 salon patentred the term loctician just to prevent any other stylist in the state friom claiming to be a loctician

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

wow that's pretty crazy! Sadly those people will probably never learn.

soaring eagle said:

you could offer it then

like sisterlocks and nappylocks went to court over them pattenting interlocking then the weird sistas claimed to have a top secret patented weaving technique..wucj=h turned out to v]=be crocheting

and in i think virginia 1 salon patentred the term loctician just to prevent any other stylist in the state friom claiming to be a loctician

Timmy Kehoe
@timmy-kehoe
12 years ago
7 posts
Totally off topic but hey Hoosier I grew up on lake Wawasee
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

get this..weirdsistas joined here.. every single 1 that works for them.. they set up a group called the sistas system or something and were spamming their crap.. they lied to me telling me they hatyed crochet cause it was so harmful.. later when i posted about crochet being harmful they started arguing caus it turned out their secret weavu[ing techb=nique was the harmful crochet thety hated.. so all kinds of craziness started thet had 1 add show up on my site so they claimed they owned my site i blocked their ads and had to ban 1.. who then told me she called the cops on me.. for saying cri[ochets bad ..yea called the cops in austrailia about a guy named soaringeagle in america..somewhere..lol so then she says shes got ppl spying on me on my site it gets crazier and crazier.. so my admins banned all of them..so then she sends hundreds of emails to dozens of members..oh..and put a curse on me..

all cause i said crochet was harmful..which they said too even though they used crochret

crazyyyyy

but theres alotta weirdos out there like that

Stephani said:

soaring eagle said:

you could offer it then

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Perhaps if you can't teach at the school would they be willing to give out pamphlets regarding dreadlocks during that particular session?

I went to an absolutely HORRENDOUS beauty school and eventually was forced to drop out, 300 hours away from graduating. I just couldn't stand it! When I was a student there, I was showing other student how to make dreadlock extensions because I was wearing them at the time. My particular school DID NOT teach dreadlocks, even as an additional class (I actually had to pay extra to get certified in Japanese hair straightening techniques as well as Braids and Extensions (weaves) and this was back in 2005.

When looking up information about dreadlocks at that time, all I could find was backcomb w/beesewax, egg white wash, locking gels, glue and dread perms (I only recently heard of crocheting - sorry, my hooks are precious and used for YARN ONLY! - and root interlocking as well as the TnR method - which I showed one of my stylist friends from school.) Also, one of the popular stylist sites that I would visit was Hair Police . I just popped over to the site and they actually do dread perms with regular maintenance (which isn't stated) but won't use wax or any of the nasty goopy products.

I feel bad and I can completely empathize with your stance, Stephani, since hairdressers are the product of their education, which is definitely outdated (I still can't believe finger waves are a state board requirement!)

The other thing that is ridiculous is reading about that law that your state almost passed. The state board exam's main focus is client safety - how can they say that being a hair stylist is not dangerous to clients?! They obviously never had a lye-based relaxer on their hair. :P

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts
Hey! That is a beautiful lake!! You are lucky to have grown up there. :)
Timmy Kehoe said:
Totally off topic but hey Hoosier I grew up on lake Wawasee
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts
oh wow!! Those women sound truly crazy! I'm pretty sure they just wanted the drama and attention. r/>
soaring eagle said:

get this..weirdsistas joined here.. every single 1 that works for them.. they set up a group called the sistas system or something and were spamming their crap.. they lied to me telling me they hatyed crochet cause it was so harmful.. later when i posted about crochet being harmful they started arguing caus it turned out their secret weavu[ing techb=nique was the harmful crochet thety hated.. so all kinds of craziness started thet had 1 add show up on my site so they claimed they owned my site i blocked their ads and had to ban 1.. who then told me she called the cops on me.. for saying cri[ochets bad ..yea called the cops in austrailia about a guy named soaringeagle in america..somewhere..lol so then she says shes got ppl spying on me on my site it gets crazier and crazier.. so my admins banned all of them..so then she sends hundreds of emails to dozens of members..oh..and put a curse on me..

all cause i said crochet was harmful..which they said too even though they used crochret

crazyyyyy

but theres alotta weirdos out there like that

Stephani said:

soaring eagle said:

you could offer it then

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

someone frokm hair police joined recently..i think just tio hget a klink to their page but anyway they claim dread perms are "the healthir]est best way to start natural drreads" 1st off even the ppl wgho use the tern[m natural dreads comopletely wrongly use it to mean not using wax or chemicals so hows chenmicals make natural dreads/ but its also not the best way to do anything but rather the last resort when all else fails

the 2nd worse is more accurate

steph if you cant teach maybe they will at least let us put together a video pressentation?

Valrie said:

Perhaps if you can't teach at the school would they be willing to give out pamphlets regarding dreadlocks during that particular session?

I went to an absolutely HORRENDOUS beauty school and eventually was forced to drop out, 300 hours away from graduating. I just couldn't stand it! When I was a student there, I was showing other student how to make dreadlock extensions because I was wearing them at the time. My particular school DID NOT teach dreadlocks, even as an additional class (I actually had to pay extra to get certified in Japanese hair straightening techniques as well as Braids and Extensions (weaves) and this was back in 2005.

When looking up information about dreadlocks at that time, all I could find was backcomb w/beesewax, egg white wash, locking gels, glue and dread perms (I only recently heard of crocheting - sorry, my hooks are precious and used for YARN ONLY! - and root interlocking as well as the TnR method - which I showed one of my stylist friends from school.) Also, one of the popular stylist sites that I would visit was Hair Police . I just popped over to the site and they actually do dread perms with regular maintenance (which isn't stated) but won't use wax or any of the nasty goopy products.

I feel bad and I can completely empathize with your stance, Stephani, since hairdressers are the product of their education, which is definitely outdated (I still can't believe finger waves are a state board requirement!)

The other thing that is ridiculous is reading about that law that your state almost passed. The state board exam's main focus is client safety - how can they say that being a hair stylist is not dangerous to clients?! They obviously never had a lye-based relaxer on their hair. :P

--

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form