Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

DEC plugs?

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Since changing the way I washed my hair Ive noticed hard white bits in my hair, like little balls. So I thought to myself it could be 3 things that I know of - nit eggs (definatly not), baking soda that hadnt washed out properly due to hard water (possibly), or dandruff (maybe but dandruff to me is flaky bits of skin so completely different to what Ive got).

So since this all started when I began using baking soda, I experimented a little with it using different quantities, leaving it in different times ect. but still had the white bits in my hair. So with the help of Vicky and another shampoo/natural product expert I made my own very basic shampoo. The problem with this is that it undid all my natural sectioning and me and Vicky are still trying to work out why this happened because according to her, none of the ingredients I used should have conditioned my hair. Anyway back to the problem of the white bits... theyre still in my hair after using the shampoo so the white bits arent baking soda.

I just had a look online and found something called DEC plugs (desquamated epithelial cell plugs). The internet says 'DEC plugs are common, solid white, or creamy yellow, non-problematic fatty globules that slide on the hair' they 'may occur when oil glands in the scalp work to compensate for the drying effects
of chemical treatments.' Even before starting my journey, the only hair product I used was just shampoo which I wouldnt really consider a harsh chemical treatment that would cause this and like I said, I only got the problem when I changed the wayI washed. And since beginning my journey all Ive done is try out the bs/acv (bs may have dried out scalp), the shampoo Ive made (which shouldnt do) and use a sea salt spray (most likely thing to dry out scalp but only started using it recently and had the problem before using).....

So basically I was just wonderingwhat you guys think? If any of you have had this? What I could do to get rid of them and prevent them?

updated by @hannah-moore: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

hair folicules are they on the end of the hair (sged or pulled out root) or in the middle

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I dont think its hair follicles I do see them sometimes still attached to the base of hairs that have fallen out but these little white ball things are like clinging onto the actual hair like a nit egg would be...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

were they backcombed?

backcombing damage can manifest as split ends but also split middles wich do cauhse like a bubble or lil loop like white dot

baking soda in water turns to gasses..it evaporates

if somehow some remained when acv hit it it turns to carbonic acid (why you dont want to mix bs and acv)

the 3 most likely causes

nits

backcomb damage

folicules

tho the dec plugs sounds like its a possibiloty as well id think 1 of the other 3 would be more likely

--
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I know its definately not nits so that ones ruled out... I didnt backcomb.. so it may behairfollicles but I thought the folliclewould stay attached to the hair that had fallen out.. not cling to anearby hair.. thats whyI thoughtmost likely thing is DEC plugs especiallyafter seeing a pic of itnextto nit eggs and hair follicles

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

cant find a detailed enough picture to see but if u got a decent camera that takes macro shots try to get a highly detailed exteemely close macro shot

--
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Sorry I dont have a good camera with me at the moment I havent seen a really detailed picture but this one here...

along with ruling out other possibilities has made me think it is DEC plugs. Do you know what to do if it is DEC plugs? I could try something out and see if it gets rid of it or not because I cant find much stuff online except saying to use these shampoos which obviously would go against dreads.

updated by @hannah-moore: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
HippieBritt
@hippiebritt
11 years ago
1 posts

Hey there! I had a similar issue when I would scratch my scalp, Iwould seem to get little white balls as well. I have fairly dry skin and I've noticed that since I have dreaded, 11 months ago, my scalp has been dryer than "normal". I work for a Naturopathic Doctor and asked him what this was all about. His reply was something like this: "clogged hair folicles is caused by sebum, which is an oily secretion made by the sebaceous glands in the skin...the sebum coats the follicles and when mixed with sweat and oils it causes a blockage in the pore...thus causing irritation and little white balls.." this can happen to those who have dry scalps or oily scalps. Hope this info helps. There are numerous ways to help with this issue, i would suggest looking into what scalp treatment is right for your skin type and go from there...hope this helps! :)

namaste*

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form