Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beginning Dreadlock Help!!!

Journey Patterson
@journey-patterson
11 years ago
2 posts

Hi all. I finished dreading my boyfriend's hair a few weeks ago using a combo of twist and rip, and backcombing. We are in dire need of help, though because they have come apart totally at the roots and at the ends. The centers,however, are locking up wonderfully!

First off, I don't understand if this problem has anything to do with my technique?

Second, I have tried using the crochet hook to tighten the roots and it just isn't working. No matter how many videos I watch, I keep trying and I just don't understand how it could tighten it all up; like I said, it just really isn't working.

FYI, he has been using residue free Burt's Bees Lavender Mint Shampoo Bar to wash every few days. We did a lot of research on it and came to the conclusion that it was pretty much a dupe for Knotty Boy's dreadlock shampoo bar.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's advice on how to fix this issue. I'm really hoping someone can help as the last thing we want is to have to brush them out.

Thanks in advance, guys!

updated by @journey-patterson: 01/13/15 09:53:01PM
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Dont crochet at all leave them be theyre meant to unravel or losen so they can knot naturally.If theyre too tight they will never form proper dreads theyll juse be like braids. All youve done is create the sections for the dreadlocks to form from so theres nothing wrong with your technique and youre better off checking that they arent too tight rather than worrying about them coming out. =]

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your technique. Baby locks should have between 1-3 inches of straight hair at the roots. This straight hair is 100% needed for locks to mature properly.

Think about it objectively, for a second. Locks are a tangled mess of knotted and looped hair, right? But they don't grow out of your scalp as 1 thick strand. That's physically impossible. So the only other thing that can be happening is that each hair still has to grow out of it's respective pore individually, and straight. This means that there will always be some straight hair at the roots that isn't knotted and tangled yet.

That's just fine. In fact it has to happen, like I said, before. Baby locks should have between 1-3 inches of straight hair at the roots. This hair is what loops, knots, and tangles with new growth, creating a new, strong base for your locks. Trying to crochet loose hairs into a lock prevents this from happening. In fact, it forces your roots to thin out and get weak, since all crocheting does is breaks hairs into smaller and smaller pieces. Be crocheting, and therefore breaking, the hairs at the roots, you are weakening his locks, considerably.

As they mature, that section of hair at the roots shrinks to about 1/4 - 1 inches of straight hair. And it locks itself up on its own. There's nothing you should do to try and force this to happen.

His locks are only a few weeks old. he's still about a year away from mature locks. You can't do anything to speed this process up without severely destroying them. If he wants them for more than a few months-a few years, then crocheting is ok to achieve the "look" of locks. But it doesn't create locks. If he wants to have them for years, or life, you need to let them happen naturally.

As for the tips... Again, baby locks should have about 3 inches of straight hair at the tips. And healthy mature locks should have 1-3 inches of straight tips. This is a good thing. Blunted tips may look all neat and tidy, but they are a detriment to locks. Blunt tips hold water longer, making them get waterlogged, and can cause mold/mildew to grow. Wispy, loose tips allow water an easy way to drain out of the lock. This lets the locks dry hours-days faster than ones with blunt tips.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

leave it alone

throw the crochet hook in the trash and regret the day u even thought of using it thats dread abuse!

you said a few weeks

they will be loose for several months

i hope u didnt use wax if u did u should comb em iout and start over

at this point all u do is wash and wait'

thats it nothing else at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form