Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads look like they are coming undone/thinning!?!?

Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Hello everyone. Haven't checked back here in a while. I had got a lot of good advice from people and I applied it and although I am seeing positive results I am also seeing negative ones, either that or I might be stressing and going crazy.

Just to give background information, I have been growing my dreads since 2009 which makes them about 4 years old I guess (not sure if that is considered mature). To give an idea of the length, they drop down to my back. I use to get my hair retwisted by a hairdresser whom specialized with dreads but after my last visit which was in November (5 months ago) I stopped going. She seemed to twist them way too tight and braided them. By the time I took out the braids I felt that there was a big split end on the top of my head. Haven't gone ever since and I got advice here on how to take care of my dreads properly. I didn't get my hair retwisted too much either because I didn't like the style, I only got them retwisted because I thought that is how you maintain them. I usually only got them done 4 times a year too.

Right now I just neglect. I try to wash my hair once a week (starting from December) and I use the whole BS/ACV mix to wash them. I use natural oils and such like tea tree and lavender and I follow the directions that everyone here uses to wash them. I only tie my hair at work and when I do I use my own dreads to do it and I stopped sleeping with a skull cap on (basically a wave cap). My roots are coming full swing with recover as only a bit of my scalp can be seen from how it was before. Still I see some problems such as dreads that seem loose on the scalp, coming undone and dreads thinning in the middle. I don't understand why this is happening, maybe I am just seeing things but everyone I wash my hair, step out the shower I always see a new dread that has a thinning mid-end section. Am I washing them wrong? I do notice that BS wash always leaves my hair a bit gray and after I rinse with the ACV it still looks a bit like that and I usually dry it and it doesn't look gray anymore, is that bad?

To give you guys an idea of what I am talking about, I have drawn a little diagram showing you how some of my dreads look. I also will upload pictures showing you my dreads. Sorry for all the text and thank you for the help!

updated by @dez-flint: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

updated by @dez-flint: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Can anyone help?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
I may just be missing it but the photos look fine to me, but I'm sure you've heard of the dangers of retwisting frequentlyMaybe take some biotin and just be gentle and give you locks some love :) peace
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the bs might be lil too harsh for your hair type and u certainly dont need a no touch method at 4 years so try the www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars (bars not liquid)

for the most part they do look fine and recovering well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form