Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

loc newbie

Demetrius
@demetrius
12 years ago
3 posts

ok so im fairly new to the Loc movement and ive recently started my journey. i started with the towel ehtod and my hair is pretty short ablut a little bit over a hlf inch. i was just wonderin if i can keep a durag on thru out the day after i wet it and rub it.

updated by @demetrius: 01/13/15 09:32:11PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

A durag is too tight. For any stage of the locking process, you want something loose on your head, if anything at all. It's best to just leave your locks hanging free. That said. You never want to wear something on your head when your hair still wet. That causes mold. covering your head or tying them up (if they were long enough), restricts air flow. They wont dry out as quickly as they need to. Wet locks end up getting that wet dog smell which is a first sign of mold or mildew.

The towel method, I assume, is rubbing your head with a towel? That, unfortunately is a myth. It just creates a general knottyness. You will then have to spend a long time separating the sections and untangling them. It also only works once. The next time you do it, you end up rubbing out the tangles you made the first time. Locks happen all on their own. There's no need to rub your head with a towel, or sleep with a wool pillow case. Or wear a tam. People brush their hair to get rid of knots. If you just didn't brush, those same knots would form dreadlocks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exazctly as baba said well i wouldnt say the towel rub methods a myth but its just not the greattest of methods it creates a general knotty mess that ghen needs to be ripped apaert into dreads and ontop of that if u keep rubbing your going to rub out knots u just rubbed in

you only want to rub once then leave em alone

and dou rags are way too tight they will prevent dreding and like rubbing with a towel will encourage a hair helme =t type dreading ..1 masssive tangled mess the entire head of haor knotted into 1 matt

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Demetrius
@demetrius
12 years ago
3 posts

so i really dont have to wear anything on my hed during the beginning stages, what about sleeping. and thank you for the response.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You just have to close your eyes, relax, and wake up the next morning. Nothing more to it. Locks don't have to be babied. They just have to be allowed to form. All this includes is washing with a non residue soap, and not brushing.

There's no secret that people with locks have about how they form. Some sleep with wool pillow cases. Some don't. Some wear tams constantly. Others leave them hanging free 100% of the time. In either case, locks form just about the same. Using wool or wearing tams doesn't make enough of a difference in the process to be that noticeable.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea exactly some find wol helps others find it hurts

but a du rag will always hurt cause its just too tight they need room to move

the idea behind wearing somethin g at night is purely psychological it alows you to sleep without thinking omg if i roll over my dreads will fall out

the thing is

people growing natural dreads never bother to ask what to do about sleeping or what if it rains and my hair gets wrt

only ppl who try to force dreads then worry about every lil thing making them fall out

so thats where all the wax and gunk cxomes in to soothe that fear of them falling apart u glue em together and u dont wotrry about them ofcourse then they never feally dread either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Demetrius
@demetrius
12 years ago
3 posts

thank yall for the advice i really appreciate it

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form