Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Too thin/many locs?

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

Its not my math, its basic math. If we took the minimal of what someones square inches of hair coverage it would be between 80-90 sq in. If you hair is 8 inches across and from front to back is 10-12 inches (most peoples its more) do that simple math and what do you get...

think if you shaved your head, how many of these you could draw on it lol

updated by @kevin4: 07/23/15 05:08:14PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Most of my locks are between 1/2 and 2 inches. I have 3 locks that reached the 2 inch mark at the base. I have 19 locks, and that includes the few new really thin babies on top of my head that will congo together once they get long enough (They're only about 1 inch long right now). 80 1 in locks is just not possible.

A bandanna will restrict movement of the portion of you locks closest to the root. But the majority of the lock will have more than enough room to move around. But you do want to let them hang free as much as possible

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

Yes but is that your actual loc width or the BASE area of hair.... seriously take a piece of paper and copy over a bunch of 1 inch squares...

Or measure and do simple math..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

th4e base area and the lock width are the same

im telling yiou ypur maths way off

1 inch dreads makes about 30 locks

not 80

10-20 dreads is mega thick bout 2 inches or lil more

20-30 over an inch

30-40 about an inch

40-50 3/4 inch or so

yours are under 1/2 an inch if you have 80

100 drwads and they are 1/2 the thickness of a pencil or so maybe pencil sizd

micro or sisterlocks have around 400 and are super thin

80-100 dreads are thin range pinky sized at most

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

look at your wrist your wrist is about 2 square inches if you did have 1 inch sections and they did congo youd have dreads the size of your wrist wich would take days to dry

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The average human head as 100,000 hairs. There are roughly 2,200 hairs per square inch. Do the the math. That's about 45 square inches. Not 80. So if you have perfect 1 inch sections, you'll have about 45 locks. If you make 2 inch section, you;ll have around 20-25 locks.

The average hair is 100 microns in diameter. 1000 microns = 1mm. 100mm=1cm. 2.54cm=1 inch. so 1 hair = .000394 inches. .000394x=1inch^2 x=2,540 hairs in each square inch.

the average human head has 100,000 hairs. 100,000hairs/2,540hairs per square inch= 40 square inches

Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

You cant divide the 100k average by avg of 2.2k per square inch because your hair varies alot in how much hair per inch. Talking about hair area not amount of hair per inch.

Regardless that 45 is still about 20 more than everyone was saying...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and almost 1/2 what your saying

--
Kevin4
@kevin4
12 years ago
25 posts

Well im still going to say its about 60 square inches. I dont know how you cant accept simple facts of math.

Seriously how far is your hair in inches from where it starts in the front to the back and multiply the length in inches from one side to the other that's how you get square inches. I guarantee you will get atleast more than double what you are trying to tell me. There is no 'well my dreads are about x inches and I have about 25 or whatever'. That's not how you measure.

I will make up a diagram if you can understand pictures better...

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Oh fun.

This is actually very informative about hair loss and it states that "The average human head (an average scalp measures approximately 120 square inches or 770 cm)..." Now that is most certainly an average since heads are varying sizes as well as heads in comparison to ACTUAL scalp.

Scalp, by definition, takes into account the varying sizes throughout, since the hairline is not a square.

Sorry but, even by measuring cross-width/length it would not equate to the square inches of the scalp because the hairline varies the width dramatically from inch to inch.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hair

Since everyone is different and we are talking about averages, not accuracies, lets just say for the sake of sanity that we are all correct.

Now, all that sexy mathematics aside, your hair looks fine Kevin. Give it a lot more time before congoing though because if your scalp is really covered with 1"^2 sections then congoing now will make your dreads super huge and possibly a pain in your ass to care for. It's much easier to go bigger than to go smaller.

Good night loves.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form