Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking soda wash. hard/soft water question

Jon Browne
@jon-browne
12 years ago
13 posts

I've been washing my dreads with a baking soda and water mixture with tea tree and lavender oil. I live in LA so I have dirty, hard water. I heard this could be a problem and I think it has turned out to be. One time I used a lot of baking soda compared to water and I noticed that some white goo would get trapped in my roots and I would have to rinse them directly under the shower head to get enough force to wash the goo out. Needless to say, that was an annoying process. I tried again the last time I washed my hair and used less baking soda. I still got white goo in my roots. Is this because of the hard water? How do I get a decent supply of soft water just for washing hair? Also, do I leave the baking soda wash in my hair? I've been leaving it in for 20-30 minutes before I rinse it out.

updated by @jon-browne: 01/13/15 09:23:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its dead skin 10 min is p-lenty

buthow much bs and water]

u want it strong enough to remove dead skin

and i do recomend hand held showerheads with massage setting to blast it away

or use the dreadlockshampoo.com soaop

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jon Browne
@jon-browne
12 years ago
13 posts
No matter what I do, the dead skin keeps building up on my dreads. The top half of nearly all my dreads have a white residue on them. I just washed my hair with baking soda, tea tree, lavender, and lemon juice. Rinsed it out multiple times. Used my shower head to blast as much of the dead skin out, but not much really came out. After I dry my hair, they are all white and nasty. There has to be something I can do. The dead skin is there, it just won't wash out.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

do not use lewmon juice! thats a bad idea acids and alkalibes chemicaly reacte

use just baking soda and mix it 1/2 cup per 5 cups water

never use lemon juice its too acidic

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how strong are u mixing the bs?

if its not working try the dreadlocksjhampoo.com soaps they are amazing

--
k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

i had the same problem for like 2 months straight with the pasty crap. also i have hard water. im using about 1/4 cup BS to 1 1/2 quarts water and its working perfect. after the first wash i had all that crap gone. i was leaving it on for 10 min and doing a 1 Tbsp ACV to 2 cups water rinse after too. but its relieving to get all that nasty crap off your scalp and find a washing method that works

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly its all a matter of making it strong enough

if u got the white crap use more bs in the water

most ppl do the oposite and make it weaker which makes it worse

make it stronger and it removes it

--
Jon Browne
@jon-browne
12 years ago
13 posts
I did a thorough washing a few days ago that included bs wash and acv rinse. I thought it would surely get this residue out of my locs but it didn't. Nothing will even squeeze out of the dreads. It's like it's not even there when I wet my hair then as soon as my hair dries, the pasty white crap is visible. I eyeballed out more baking soda and poured a fair amount of acv into the rinse. My hair is clean but the residue is still there. I don't know what options I have left because baking soda and te vinegar don't clean anything out. I ordered a bar off that website you linked. Haven't used it yet. Can someone explains exactly how I should wash my locs? Simply pouring the mixture over my hair doesn't work. I let my hair soak in a bowl of bs and essential oils and no results.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

use the bar that will work if u use the baking soda do it exactly like this

pour 1/2 cup in a ciontainter

wet your head

fill the containrer 1/2 way with 2 1/2 cups water stir with hand breaking up clumps

add the other 2 1/2 cup

pour over head

wait 10 min then rinse well

mix the acvgf pour on

rinse well

u can get a shower head filter or u can distill water

but just mixing it rihht will usualy do the trick

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus