Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My first ignorant comment...

Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
I see people on here saying they get wired comments from strangers about cleaning their dreads, from NEVER showering to having to rub horse shit in their dreads... I always laugh because it's funny people could be so ignorant and unaware.WELL!I got my first comment regarding the subject today at work. Some customer said he thought dreads were REALLY gross, because they could never be clean. I told him that wasn't how it worked, and that mine were really clean, I hate feeling dirty. He re-voiced his negative opinion.AND THEN...My coworker starts agreeing with him, saying he's had dreads twice and both times "they looked awesome" but he didn't/couldn't wash them for the first six months. I just said that was bull shit, and walked away.I've realized that these comments are NOT funny when they happen to you; I was, in fact, VERY, insulted. I just wanted to vent my irritation, and apologize for laughing (here on my bed) at comments others have received.
updated by @rae: 01/13/15 08:50:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ask your coworker who the hell told him not to wash for 6 months? thats insane and grossalotta ppl are idiots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
Thanks for the Advice, Rawsum!(-:I knew I hadn't handled the situation well, so that was also a goal in posting here, to see what others do in that situation. This man is kinda ignorant, but very stubborn and always sure his way is the BEST way (Objectively), that sort of attitude usually rubs me the wrong way. I think next time it does happen though, and he'll probably say something again, I'll take a few deep breaths, and ask those few simple questions, where he got his info, what method he used, etc....Conversations, not Arguments! (-:I also think that next time I should try not to be SO negative, it's rude, I don't like it, and doesn't solve anything.

rawsum said:
hi rachel.. good place to vent :) .. don't fret you will have more positive comments than not .. you could ask your co worker if he/she used wax or other methods to create their dreads and then take an informative approach to sharing your experience with them.. chances are a negative intellect like that won't hear or accept your knowledge but you can at least feel like you tried ... your words may at the least save the next victim of a similar verbal assault and if it's important to you the last word is always OK in my book :D
Steph
@steph
14 years ago
16 posts
Huh.I cant believe someone thought it was ok to be that blatently rude to your face! And for your co-worker to back them up, what a git!I've noticed that by having dreads you become a short of 'public figure' people think it's fine to grab your hair and stuff. I get a lot of people compliment my hair, which is obviously nice, but people do ask bizarre questions, one of the most popular is definately about your washing habits.But pass on your knowledge and they will learn :)You cant win every time, but you can sometimes at least
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form