Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dr. Bronner's and The OCM

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
So for those of you who don't know, OCM stands for the oil cleansing method. I've been trying it out for a few days, and while I know it's really too soon to say one way or another, I'm still skeptical, and don't know if I'm really comfortable with the added oil (jojoba oil specifically) on my face. Here's the question. Could someone, realistically, use Dr. Bronner's in place of say castor oil and sunflower/jojoba/olive oil? If you'll note, all Dr. B's is made of is oils, so what makes it any different than the OCM? Just sheer curiosity. I just bought another biiiig bottle of Almond Dr. B's, so I'll probably start using it to wash again, if only for the heavenly almond scent. I figure if I really need a little extra moisture, I'll rub in a bit of the jojoba oil and leave it at that.
updated by @faelwynn: 01/13/15 08:43:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i would think u could and i would not recomend castor oil be used its way too toxic jojoba is great tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Most usually recommend it for it's cleansing properties, usually only using a ratio of 25% castor oil to 75% veggie based oil of your choice. I've never heard or read of it being toxic in any way, shape or form, unless you use it for a laxative, then obviously too much is a danger. soaringeagle said:
i would think u could and i would not recomend castor oil be used its way too toxic jojoba is great tho
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it specif9cly says "do not fluch or wash down drains" a drop or 2 in the water will kill fishits highly toxic thats why it works as a laxative but using just a lil too much and u literaly shit yourself to deathin the water its deadly to fishwhen u use it on skin its safe on skin but when ushower u are contaminating the water with a very toxic substance Faelwynn said:
Most usually recommend it for it's cleansing properties, usually only using a ratio of 25% castor oil to 75% veggie based oil of your choice. I've never heard or read of it being toxic in any way, shape or form, unless you use it for a laxative, then obviously too much is a danger.

soaringeagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
hey how do you do the oil cleansing method? Just rub the oil on? Knottysleeves said:
It took me a couple months and several different oils to figure out which worked best for my skin. I used to do a castor oil / jojoba or sweet almond oil mix, but now I just use straight jojoba (no castor oil) and it works just as well, if not better. One less bottle to buy. :-)

Dr B's is made from oils, but they've been saponified, they're not straight oils. I'm not a soapmaker and I don't know exactly how the saponification process works (other than you start with plain oils and end up with oil + glycerin), but I do know it's definitely not the same thing as using straight oils.

Besides, Dr B's is highly concentrated and needs to be diluted if you're going to use it on your skin. But if it works for you better than OCM, then great!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I knew that the coconut and olive oils had been saponified, but I believe the rest are left untouched. I suppose that was the real question, was if the saponified oils made that much of a difference. I've battled different types of acne for years, and to this day have found nothing that seems to make it better consistently. Dr. B's with tea tree in bar form helps for a bit, but I wasn't using the jojoba afterwards, and was often getting very dry, irritated skin... probably overwashing. I suppose I'll keep mixing and matching things until something finally works. I'm done with acne products though; I'd rather have my face covered in zits than to endure that kind of pain on a daily basis. Knottysleeves said:
It took me a couple months and several different oils to figure out which worked best for my skin. I used to do a castor oil / jojoba or sweet almond oil mix, but now I just use straight jojoba (no castor oil) and it works just as well, if not better. One less bottle to buy. :-)

Dr B's is made from oils, but they've been saponified, they're not straight oils. I'm not a soapmaker and I don't know exactly how the saponification process works (other than you start with plain oils and end up with oil + glycerin), but I do know it's definitely not the same thing as using straight oils.

Besides, Dr B's is highly concentrated and needs to be diluted if you're going to use it on your skin. But if it works for you better than OCM, then great!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form